Packet Flight to Homeworld

Started by fleetwood, March 15, 2017, 12:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fleetwood

Here on Ranadorn for another stint. Looks like another six months on this planet to finish up the preliminary plant studies.

Sky experiment - 33 hours render time on just the sky. Once it got near 24 I figured what the heck, let it go.
xfrog vegs
space vessel - unknown maker

bobbystahr

Very nice, worth the time on all levels. Reminds me of the 49 hr render I did for Andy. Felt so good when it was done.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Oshyan

It's a really beautiful sky, but I do wonder what your settings were (and how many cloud layers you had).

The ground is very interesting to me. So much detail, and some really interesting rock shapes. What is your setup here?

fleetwood

Thanks all.
Atmo really has only two cloud layers, a standard cirrus and a v3 layer.
Part of my folly was to have the v3 layer use two seperate density shaders which are combined by a merge shader. I've done that before and the merge always seems to cause slow down. Only used 16 atmo samples and defer atmo was on. The quality of the cloud was 1.3 and voxel buffer very high at 140 mill.
I suspect the biggest problem was Detail 1.0 and AA very high (for experiment mind you, I won't say exactly how high, (but more than 15 and less than 17) don't want to be ridden out of the forum on a photo-realistic rail).

Terrain is a more complex exploration of the conglomerate rock idea I once posted in file sharing. Basically smaller stones are intentionally routed to the surface of the largest stones, but in this case with areas of occurrence varied and non-uniform.

Oshyan

AA above 15? Well there's your problem (with Defer Atmo enabled). Especially if you did not make the AA more adaptive (1/16 or 1/64 first samples). But you knew it was an experiment, so far enough. :)

- Oshyan

luvsmuzik

I would blame the space vessel. You never know what they do in those things.

Seriously, love the rocks. Those would look great on an ocean floor scene too!
Edit: I must apologize for not seeing this before. Cambrian Sea, your image and the file share tgd. Thanks so much!

Dune