Phillipe on the Cliff

Started by bobbystahr, May 10, 2017, 09:50:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

This is based on a .tgd I discovered on my back up drive called for Dune Highland. I have no idea where it's from but thanks to whomever...it has a ton of cool locations. Dune grass fro collection and Phillipe from xoio
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

DocCharly65

I like the wild look of the water in this render.
Some floating old tree perhaps? :)

Dune

Cool terrain (a bit of lateral's I see, so you may need to clone some stuff out or 'force all edges'), and very nice sea. Will you be working on this one? In that case, get the front area perfected.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on May 11, 2017, 01:43:12 AM
Cool terrain (a bit of lateral's I see, so you may need to clone some stuff out or 'force all edges'), and very nice sea. Will you be working on this one? In that case, get the front area perfected.

Thanks Ulco....Thinking about it...I like where it's started...suggestions?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

More grasses and some shrub? Dead tree?

luvsmuzik

Very nice! Foreground displacement especially nice, please don't hide that. Great water too! Since he is at the edge of a cliff, anyway to camera angle that in?

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on May 11, 2017, 05:05:30 AM
More grasses and some shrub? Dead tree?

Yup, the intent was to blend in another few pops of your wonderful shared grasses...also the suggestion earlier of some deadwood tossing in what is actually a quite wide and turbulent river. That would accentuate the choppy effect and indicate motion direction. Need to find an appropriate shrub(s). All I really have is some not too shabby ones from MrLamppost and Lightning's not really impressive ones...Maybe some scattered bush/tree groupings on the far shore even though they'd be fairly small they'd add depth to the image. It's nice to not have to worry about how many pops I uses as long as I keep them hidden when navigating around the scene while testing.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Well I think I still need C&C on this but it's closer to good...took twice as long to render with no settings changed...weird

Quixel log tumbling in the raging river...added a path and mixed grasses, 1 Dune and 1 MrLamppost in the foreground with a Walli bush pop from his Shrubs and Bushes collection.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

DocCharly65

In fact better, Bobby!  :)

Very nice variation of the grass now and I love the little path and the tree in the water!

For one wish I have, we'd perhaps need Ulco's help  ;)  It would be nice to breakup the quite straight riverside.
I old and lazy guy would personally use objects and veggies just to hide it - but I am sure there will be another procedural solution  ;)

Dune

You can't really see what the edge of land is; riverbank or cliff. If it's a cliff I'd add a few holes in the ground or pillars of rock just beyond the edge, so you can actually see the land drop. If it's a riverbank, you need foam!
Breaking up the straight line; use a warp shader.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on May 13, 2017, 02:20:06 AM
You can't really see what the edge of land is; riverbank or cliff. If it's a cliff I'd add a few holes in the ground or pillars of rock just beyond the edge, so you can actually see the land drop. If it's a riverbank, you need foam!
Breaking up the straight line; use a warp shader.

You mean the foreground correct?... I'd like to do both of those...if it's the distant shore ditto....
You have the project actually Ulco, I harvested it from here and it's is called I think unless I renamed it; for Dune Highland.
The camera is at:
-2940.43, -422.883,-10200.6    Rotation-6, -239.871, 0
Perspective: 66.9  Focal length 27.2004
......but am not sure how.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

S#$T damn it all...TG4 is still crashing when editing PFs...had a Surface layer set and added a PF in the Displacement tab and was editing the PF when the kill window came up...I thought this was fixed!
Start over I guess
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Tried a new view and a bit of semi successful river fog...but it should be closer to sunrise for that so I will lose that...C&C welcome and helpful.
A bit lower res as well for time consideration as it was a test mainly
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

You should keep that (rather nasty green) stuff off the cliff edge; it's floating. What you could do to make that rocky edge more interesting is, add a compute normal (somewhere), add a painted shader and paint the cliffs in front white. Use as mask for an empty surface shader after that compute normal and add some lateral billowy displacements in sizes 0.5/10/0.01, displaced maybe 25cm. You could also try an XYZ shader instead of the compute normal and add some fake stones mix to that cliff's edge in that sureface shader.
I wouldn't worry about skies before you've got the terrain in order.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on May 14, 2017, 11:44:42 AM

I wouldn't worry about skies before you've got the terrain in order.

heh heh, the floaters were the result of the wrong Compute Terrain. Will see if I can wade my way through the offered tweaks. I'm back at the first camera at the moment and the cliff edge is nicely irregular now but you'd not see naught but the Fakestones from your recommendations. I didn't paint the cliffs but I added a layer restricted to just above the top to just below the water line but I wasn't aggressive enough with my displacements it seems as there's Lateral normalized on the cliff already. And if you zoom in on the far cliffs it's there as well as I didn't restrict it to the camera area.
In fact all the pops had the wrong compute terrain except for 1...
Thanks for the input...off to tweak for a few hours...interspersed with Strummin' my Gibson...sounds dirty but it ain't...hee hee hee.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New