Fun with Flags...ahem, Fakestones, I mean

Started by KlausK, June 29, 2017, 02:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KlausK

hi there,
here are some views of the scene I am fiddling with.
Stone desert with fakestone plant-like shrubbery.
Some strange render errors in there in some places.

C&C welcome! cheers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

luvsmuzik

This looks like lots of fun.... ;D
Did you try APs fake groundcover file share? He uses some pretty fancy node setups in that.
I used it in a couple files, one in an underwater render....just knowing the seed and scale are fun to mess with.

I know you are using stones but perhaps the displacements would be do-able on a fake stone set up as well.

KlausK

@luvsmuzik
There is only 1 stone / rock object in there. It is the dark thingie in the front.
The rest is a very small terrain and the shrubs are made with one Fakestone shader.
Here`s the network. That`s all.
cheers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Kadri

Might be because of strong displacements.
Have a look at the "displacement tolerance" in the planet node.
Try higher numbers then 1. But you will get longer times.

KlausK

Kadri, I think so too.
The Fake Stone Shader has no such setting, at least I cannot find it.
Or do you mean the Displacement Tolerance setting of the Planet node?
cheers, Klaus

edit:  :-[ oh boy, it`s late...

luvsmuzik

APs 100 functions link....look for the tgd fakeground cover plants 2 in the messages, shared file
fake stone blue node set up, sort of what you already have, but a little different
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,22005.msg227291.html#msg227291

Kadri

Quote from: KlausK on June 29, 2017, 05:48:48 PM
Or do you mean the Displacement Tolerance setting of the Planet node?
cheers, Klaus

Yes :)

KlausK

@luvsmuzik: thanks! I already have the files somewhere. That was more of a accidental find, don`t know if I dig deaper into this.
For further-away-structures amidst real plants it may well pass, I think... and this network renders quite fast. Maybe it`ll be useful sometime, who knows.
@Kadri: Displacement Tolerance is now at 2. Render Time increased about a minute. But the error is still visible.
Anyways, I`d say it is better to get rid of the spikes or mask out the "bush" in question completely.
This setup is not worth long render times.
cheers, Klaus

luvsmuzik

That looks quite nice already. Great looking strata too.
Imagine making grass with minuscule fake stones with a density of 3, tallness 50, then masked by a power fractal....I thought I was brilliant, heh...then I found the procedural clips...

El Kabong

Quote from: KlausK on June 29, 2017, 06:14:20 PM
For further-away-structures amidst real plants it may well pass, I think... and this network renders quite fast. Maybe it`ll be useful sometime, who knows.
cheers, Klaus

you betcha!
My accidental find regarding spiky fake stones were far more unruly. Waffled the settings while trying to figure out wtf I did. 

DocCharly65

Hey cool!!

The astronaut brought me to the idea: What if you change the fakestone-grass into crystals? glass instead of grass? :)

KlausK

Hehe, that`s an idea!
I tried, did not get a good looking crystal or glass. So DoF to the rescue.
AND they sparkle and glow nicely ;)

Just for comparison I uploaded 2 images:
1st (_06) has Micropoly Detail set to 0.2.
The image rendered in 1m45s on my computer.
2nd (_07) has Micropoly Detail set to 0.6.
The render took 12m40s.

To be honest, I think the low MPD setting fits the scenery better.

cheers, Klaus

DocCharly65

Good - very good! Cool!

in 06 the crystals look a bit better (in my eyes)
Still patience to work a bit on the astronaut? ;)
The helmet's reflection is not so perfect. Also would give the picture a "deeper sense" to let him look in dirction of the crystals... what do you think?

KlausK

Thank you, Doc!

The helmets bowl was only a rushed hack. Sphere with some reflections.
It doesn`t look too good, I know. It was simply meant to cover the face of the astronaut.
I remember, Hannes had a very nice Astronaut in his ISS renders.
Mine is a free model from somewhere I forgot (I believe the link was posted in this forum).
Rather lowpoly and rough. Maybe I should pimp it up in a 3D app sometime.
cheers, Klaus

bobbystahr

I like em both but agree with your assessment.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist