Circular nodes

Started by Sengin, September 24, 2007, 01:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sengin

You guys probably know about this, but if nodes become a circle (i.e. if you start at one node and trace the outputs you will eventually find yourself back at the starting node) or simply if the output of one node leads to an input of the same node, Terragen will crash.  Yeah, I know most people won't go "Oh, I wonder what happens if you connect this here to make it a circle - oh crap I just lost all my work," but with a lot of nodes in a small space, an accident can happen where you didn't mean to set that as the output location and there will be a crash.  The same could happen if you forget that constant scalar 06 goes with multiply scalar 04 and not constant scalar 09 - boom crash.

I'm just saying that it would be a good idea to have a "no outpu" check.  That way, if the node connection will cauase a circle, then a dialog box could come up and say "Illegal output - would cause node structure to be unstable/have no ouput/etc.." and it won't allow the connection.  Or just have the line red and not allow a connection - just in case.

rcallicotte

In some cases, this is true.  The node connector turns red and won't let you connect.  But, I'm wondering if what you're asking for would restrict other possibilities, since TG2 might not be able to predict various combinations of nodes and this complexity is even more so with functions.

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Oshyan

We will definitely be adding "loop checking" to the node network UI, but it may not be able to check all cases. It should help a lot regardless.

- Oshyan

Sengin

Ok.  I just wanted to bring attention to it just in case it was overlooked (in such a big program, some things can be accidentally overlooked).  Thanks.