Erosion in use

Started by Dune, November 12, 2017, 09:52:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J_Con

Really stunning work. The masking? of the sand is excellent.

bobbystahr

What Danny said...plus a Wow from me.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

Thanks all. The masking of the sand (rock debris) is done with Daniil's erosion shader.

2 versions of the newer guys, but same sky. To get the light like this I used 2 suns, one for lighting the clouds at 3º and one for lighting the ground at 12º. Fake, but well....
Mostly XFrog Prehistoric, but for the front stuff and some ordinary grasses. Rendered in 27 mins at 0.6 and AA6, soft shadows on, so surprisingly fast despite the V3 clouds.

bobbystahr

Colour me impressed...great scene Ulco.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

luvsmuzik

Knowing you will eventually add the low area cloud mist, I can hardly wait! Great stuff again!

Dune

Then you know more than I do  ;) It indeed crossed my mind, but I don't know about it yet.

I had a go at a piece of dead wood in ZBrush yesterday, might as well post it here.

zaxxon

The Zbrush wood experiment looks promising! The 'dirt", using the Erosion Shader is truly intriguing, hmmmm... As always Ulco, your 'explorations' inspire me to spend more time with TG!

j meyer

Cool new creatures, me likey.

Dead wood, especially the bark is nice. Always wanted to do some lying trunk piece
or so myself. So I would be in in case... ;)

Dune

;)
Actually I made some mistakes in the trunk. Did a rough and dirty job. I think one can achieve much more realistic effects.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on November 20, 2017, 12:16:56 PM
;)
Actually I made some mistakes in the trunk. Did a rough and dirty job. I think one can achieve much more realistic effects.

They're only mistakes if someone else points 'em out Ulco....Me, I thought they were photos....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

Sure, but I'm a perfectionist (usually), and I started out my displacing by gut-feeling rather than by the texture. Only later used texture to emphasize displacement.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on November 21, 2017, 02:36:33 AM
Sure, but I'm a perfectionist (usually), and I started out my displacing by gut-feeling rather than by the texture. Only later used texture to emphasize displacement.

Aha, well it is always best to go with what you know to be best practice, but it's so tempting to swim upstream some days eh?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New