Animation Begins

Started by luvsmuzik, May 03, 2018, 12:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvsmuzik

You must check this out. Georges Melies early animation "A trip to the moon"

https://atap.google.com/spotlight-stories/melies/?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=HPP&utm_campaign=Melies_HPP

Follow the links to the French Culture exhibit too!

WAS

Interesting, wish I had a VR.

SILENCER

If you want to study the history of VFX, you have to see what remains of Melies work. He broke the ground.

His movies were the true bleeding edge, back from 1896 I believe. take a look at The Vanishing Lady. First use of hard cut and a swap. Someone had to be first, and it was he.

He eventually lost his shit to financial ruin, and the story goes he burned a lot of his films, so we are unfortunately without working prints (to my knowledge) of films like The Merry Frolics of Satan and The Laboratory of Mephistopholes. The Conquest of the Pole, made I think in 1912 was the end of the road for the guy.
[attach=1]

He even built his own studio with trap doors, sliding panels, skylights, all kinds of innovation at the time. Dude was a boss, rolled like a pimp.

Here is a still from The Infernal Cauldron from 1903
[attach=2]
Satan In Prison (1907)
[attach=3]
The Merry Frolics of Satan (1906)
[attach=4]
[attach=5]

Non stop crazy shit from Georges Meilies.  We owe him and Willis Obrien everything.

luvsmuzik

Quote from: SILENCER on May 03, 2018, 02:54:13 PM
If you want to study the history of VFX, you have to see what remains of Melies work. He broke the ground.

His movies were the true bleeding edge, back from 1896 I believe. take a look at The Vanishing Lady. First use of hard cut and a swap. Someone had to be first, and it was he.

He eventually lost his shit to financial ruin, and the story goes he burned a lot of his films, so we are unfortunately without working prints (to my knowledge) of films like The Merry Frolics of Satan and The Laboratory of Mephistopholes the Conquest of the Pole, made I think in 1912 was the end of the road for the guy.
[attach=1]

He even built his own studio with trap doors, sliding panels, skylights, all kinds of innovation at the time. Dude was a boss, rolled like a pimp.

Here is a still from The Infernal Cauldron from 1903
[attach=2]
Satan In Prison (1907)
[attach=3]
The Merry Frolics of Satan (1906)
[attach=4]
[attach=5]

Non stop crazy shit from Georges Meilies.  We owe him and Willis Obrien everything.

*Applause*

Thanks! I am old enough to have grandparents born in this era, as well as a link to early American circus. I remember my great uncle, who went off to New York early on, he would come back and tell my great grandma of the things he saw (1895 or so). My other grandpa was stationed in France, 1918, and saw some of this stuff too.

From the circus side, I think there were among others, these short films as attractions for the shows. The research exhibit tells of his work being pirated to the US.

One side of the field, a revival tent, other side, the side shows. ;)