Smooth Strata Transition

Started by WAS, June 09, 2018, 02:25:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I'm trying to mask some strata for areas that are... well strata, and area that aren't, but whenever I mask it or a surface layer I get really hard drop-offs from the strata to non-strata. Any ideas how I could get smoother transitions? Masking the Strata itself creates just a jagged mess. I'm assuming this is the offsets between displacement but not sure how to remedy that.

Dune

Why don't you experiment with the sizes first, of both strata and masking PF. That's where the 'problem' is.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on June 10, 2018, 01:22:20 AM
Why don't you experiment with the sizes first, of both strata and masking PF. That's where the 'problem' is.

Suppose that would make masking strata practically; impractical. The question isn't about changing both, how my strata looks, or how my mask looks, and doesn't present a fix to a problem, but a problem. In other-words, you can't mask strata without gradual high scale transitions to transition between offsets. Would be cool if the smooth filter works on the PF as well as the Strata.

René

There are several things you can do, depending on what you want to achieve.
Masking the strata with a distribution shader, minimum slope.
Use a power fractal, standard Perlin with no roughness at all and no strong contrast.
Use a power fractal and stretch the noise horizontally, for example, x3-y1-z3. Alternatively: warp the power fractal along the x and z-axes.
Or combine several of these techniques until you are satisfied.

WAS

Quote from: René on June 11, 2018, 03:49:34 AM
There are several things you can do, depending on what you want to achieve.
Masking the strata with a distribution shader, minimum slope.
Use a power fractal, standard Perlin with no roughness at all and no strong contrast.
Use a power fractal and stretch the noise horizontally, for example, x3-y1-z3. Alternatively: warp the power fractal along the x and z-axes.
Or combine several of these techniques until you are satisfied.

Thanks for the techniques. That first one sounds promising actually since the main issue is the steps and lines created by the strata on lateral horizontal.

René

Ah, I forgot one. You can also use fake strata, or fake strata with the Strata Shader.

WAS

Quote from: René on June 13, 2018, 04:49:30 AM
Ah, I forgot one. You can also use fake strata, or fake strata with the Strata Shader.

Whoa that is just the effect I was trying to go for! Thanks a lot René!