Death to Bill Gates...

Started by Harvey Birdman, October 10, 2007, 10:47:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

efflux

Apple don't have to bother with that because all their extra apps can be sent to the trash in one mouse click if you want. M$ wanted to integrate IE into the Windows desktop in such a way that it couldn't be seperated.

efflux

Heres a bombshell for you Windows lovers.

I just installed TG2 under Wine in Linux. it is fully functional apart from some messed up UI. You see the UI when mousing over but node network, all settings windows open for nodes and the realtime preview work. It is actually totally usable but here's the real bombshell. It renders faster. To fully exploit this I'd have to disable hyperthreading in the bios because Linux sees my one CPU as two. However TG2 on one half of the CPU renders well beyond half the speed that it does on my XP system. The UI outperforms the UI on my Mac despite the glitch because on the Mac TG2 UI is sluggish. TG2 will eventually be 100% working under Wine. The UI glitch will be an Open GL problem. I have it on another app I tested. At one stage this got fixed in Wine then regressed again. So it's looking good.

old_blaggard

What kind of graphics card do you have?  You really need at least 128MB of VRAM for the interface to be snappy because OS X has all of those core technologies that use the graphics processor, whereas Windows and Linux use the main processor for that more.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

efflux

Yes OSX is a little slower in UI because of that but TG2 is much slower than other apps. My graphics card is a GeForce 6600 PCI Express with 256 MB VRAM. Nothing special but should be perfectly good enough. jo has said that once multicore is enabled things should get better. It's not a major deal but a little annoying.

I'm going to disable the HT in my Linux system and run a TG2 render speed test. Maybe there will not be any difference from Windows but signs so far are that there there will be.

efflux

I tested on Linux with HT disabled but the trouble is that Linux generally takes a performance hit when I do this whereas with Windows it makes no difference whether HT is enabled or not. TG2 is not faster on Linux but not much different from Windows. However this is perfectly OK.

No software can even utilize my PCs to full extent the way most of my Mac software can utilize the Mac (TG2 unfortunately not being in this category yet due to non multi core). This is absolutely absurd and who is to blame - M$. They never produced an OS that performs properly with my HT CPUs the way Linux does and Linux doesn't have all the apps because of the Windows monopoly.

efflux

The thing is there is a clear performance difference on my PCs because of this hyperthreading. Windows does not run anything faster when I enable it including the actual OS. I simply have two CPUs whereas with Linux when I enable HT there is a clear performance benefit with anything I do. The desktop is faster.

rcallicotte

I think we see this as how it is now.  Even I understand this as a programmer, but it is easy to believe that in the future devices (hardware devices) will replace many of the functions we now program.  This isn't a stretch.  Think about the capacity for memory and CPU to retain coding.  If someone was really a genius, they'd figure out a way to dissect logic down to a few basic hardware components and be able to use these components to enhance robotics, etc.  We think the way we do now, since this is what we see.  Someday, people will look back and say, "Oshyan was sure smart for his time.  But, how could he have known this?"   ;D

Quote from: Oshyan on October 11, 2007, 03:06:20 PM
Bugs *will* always exist...

MS consistently improved...
- Oshyan

As far as MS improving, I see that too.  But, my context is the entire IT industry.  It's my opinion that there were better operating systems when MS started and that there still are better.  The only trouble is that most of these haven't been brought to the consumer level through the innovation of front-end magic.  The need for people to utilize technology simply is what has driven Microsoft's business.  Perhaps someday someone (like LINUS TORVALDS) will find the magic formula for intelligence emulation.  By then, I'll be using TG5.01 to create virtual movies.   8) <-- Me as a virtual movie director.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

efflux

There were better operating systems. M$ was simply able to cheapen it all and make is more GUI for the consumer. DOS stands for dirty operating system as far as I remember and M$ bought it cheap. They still have the same business policy.

I knew someone who programmed for Acorn computers. This was a UK company. He said it was fundamentally far superior to Windows.

Linux renders fastest if I keep HT enabled on my PCs and open two instances of TG2. This is actually my fastest way of rendering on any system. There is a problem in the UI of TG2 under Wine though which I've just discovered. The right click menu in the node graph intermittently fails.

efflux

Would anyone ever start a thread called Death to Linus Torvalds? I think not.

dhavalmistry

Quote from: efflux on October 12, 2007, 04:42:44 AM
Would anyone ever start a thread called Death to Linus Torvalds? I think not.

it is already done!
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

efflux

Why would anyone have anything against Linus?

Oshyan

DOS = Disk Operating System. ;)

You may find this site interesting for comparison - OS X comes out on top, but not by as much as I think many people would like to think: http://www.xvsxp.com/

- Oshyan

efflux

This is what it says in the WIKI about DOS:

MS-DOS began as QDOS (for Quick and Dirty Operating System) So it did really begin with this name although Microsoft changed it.

Oshyan

Quote from: efflux on October 13, 2007, 07:05:27 PM
This is what it says in the WIKI about DOS:

MS-DOS began as QDOS (for Quick and Dirty Operating System) So it did really begin with this name although Microsoft changed it.

Mmm, fair enough, but the "quick" is an important part there. I doubt it would have actually been called *just" "Dirty Operating System". It's a rather vital omission. ;)

- Oshyan

efflux

I didn't remember the Quick bit. I just thought of the DOS letters. Microsoft apparently payed $50,000 for it.