Oh, joy...

Started by Harvey Birdman, October 17, 2007, 04:18:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harvey Birdman

... the primary hard drive on my server just crashed.

:o  :'(

rcallicotte

I hate to ask.  Backup?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Harvey Birdman

Some. The really critical stuff, yes; in fact, the server is the backup for most of the truly critical stuff, with primary copies on one of two desktop machines.

The real issue is the fact that I haven't re-upped with my partnership dues with Microsoft. I have all the technical requirements needed to renew but I can't really justify dropping $1500 bucks on it. That means I can't re-install Project Server and Sharepoint, or Windows Server 2003, for that matter. So it's not only dead, but as things stand I can't rebuild it.

dhavalmistry

oh man I know this feeling....feel sorry for u.....
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Will

Damn that sucks, I'm sorry for you man.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

old_blaggard

I'm sorry to hear that.  Linux time?
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Harvey Birdman

Quote from: old_blaggard on October 17, 2007, 05:39:28 PM
... Linux time?

Hardly. The last thing I need is to increase the complexity of restoring the infrastructure by playing with a new solution. Crap... guess I'll have to buy a new drive and install XP on it till I can afford to pay the pirates in Redmond.

Harvey Birdman

Yay!! Turns out MS doesn't block activation codes for stuff acquired when your partnership dues were up to date. I can't log into the restricted MSDN pages and get the codes, but I have them all written down from before. I just did a test install of Windows Server on an old drive and was able to activate it with no problem.

Cool. I go buy a new drive tomorrow and rebuild this puppy. Lost a little bit of content that hadn't been backed up, but not much.

:)

cyphyr

Congratzz ... back in the groove again.
Let this be a lesion to us all.
Back up and back up often.
Richard
By the way what are peoples opinion/experience of RAID. Personaly I dont trust it, seems like a great way of backing up lurking viruses and errors but I have to admit I've never tried it.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Harvey Birdman

Yup - cool. You get used to having your network/infrastructure configured in a certain way, know what I mean? I have a routine I go through on about a monthly basis, backing up content from each machine to some other location so when a machine goes down it can be rebuilt with a minumum of hassle. It's still a major drag when things are out of kilter, though - SourceSafe lives on the server, for instance, so every project I open in NetBeans or Visual Studio bitches because it's now disconnected from the database; I have a TimeCard add-in in VS and Office, that logs time spent in each program on selected projects/documents; it's database lives on the server, so every time I open Word or FrontPage or something, it bitches because it's disconnected from the TimeCard database... you get the picture.

Never tried an honest-to-god RAID-backed-up server configuration. The wife is pulling pretty hard in that direction after this last crash. It's going to have to wait for a friendlier financial environment, though.

:D

rcallicotte

Good.

Quote from: Harvey Birdman on October 18, 2007, 09:27:40 PM
Yay!! Turns out MS doesn't block activation codes for stuff acquired when your partnership dues were up to date. I can't log into the restricted MSDN pages and get the codes, but I have them all written down from before. I just did a test install of Windows Server on an old drive and was able to activate it with no problem.

Cool. I go buy a new drive tomorrow and rebuild this puppy. Lost a little bit of content that hadn't been backed up, but not much.

:)
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?