Gaea Terrain

Started by sjefen, October 30, 2018, 06:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Quote from: Matt on October 31, 2018, 08:55:57 PM
The heightfield renders just fine for me. Maybe there's some displacement happening in your shaders? Start from just the heightfield and re-enable your shaders one by one to find the culprit.

Exactly how it's set up, but I went through though and checked the shaders and found that the snow I downloaded at some point has a whopping 5m offset for some reason, which, probably because I don't have access to the new fuzzy zone calcs was creating weird flat arcs in the fuzzy zone in areas where it cuts off to black too sudden (uses South Faces mask).

sjefen

Quote from: Oshyan on October 31, 2018, 07:26:47 PM
The clamping is the issue in that case, which is an (optional) Gaea output setting.

- Oshyan

I don't think I understand this. What am I supposed to do?
Unclamped on or off?
And what format is best for export: exr, png, tif, psd, raw or hdr?

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

WAS

Quote from: sjefen on November 01, 2018, 04:45:29 PM
Quote from: Oshyan on October 31, 2018, 07:26:47 PM
The clamping is the issue in that case, which is an (optional) Gaea output setting.

- Oshyan

I don't think I understand this. What am I supposed to do?
Unclamped on or off?
And what format is best for export: exr, png, tif, psd, raw or hdr?

- Terje

EXR would probably be best, but being a free user, I can't load EXR into Terragen, so TIFF would be more cross compatible. Additionally, if available 32bit TIFF is usually float like 16bit EXR.

With the terrain unclamped, it would probably represent the meters better for Terragen without upscaling dramatically.

sjefen

"With the terrain unclamped, it would probably represent the meters better for Terragen without upscaling dramatically."

Ok. In Gaea the is this option:

Unclamped - on/of

If I understand this correctly it should be on, right?

- Terje

128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

WAS

Quote from: sjefen on November 17, 2018, 05:37:49 PM
"With the terrain unclamped, it would probably represent the meters better for Terragen without upscaling dramatically."

Ok. In Gaea the is this option:

Unclamped - on/of

If I understand this correctly it should be on, right?

- Terje

"Off" will provide the best results for TG, as clamped clamps the results, to some maximum I think is meant for proprietary purposes (loading in World Creator or something?).

Right now TG is reading the colour as height, and when clamped, it produces nearly flat terrain. With it unclamped it's likely we won't even need to add much displacement multiplier.

WAS

For example, this terrain is generated in Terragen by DK erosion, and than Heightfield Generate (reduces file size), and is shaded by height by Terragen itself. Notice how much brighter the high areas are.

sjefen

Thank you. I'll do some testing and post a new terrain when I know it's working  ;)

- Terje

128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB