Labour Day Doodle

Started by bobbystahr, November 12, 2018, 11:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

This is just a simple forest scene inspired a bit by a photo I saw of a  wild Italian Cork Oak tree forest(not the typical 'tree farm' layout). I am using the free XFROG Cork Oak, 2 ages and a Walli bush to wit, Euonymus_variant2.tgo, and 2 of Dune's grasses.#'s 5 & 8. The atmo started as the free teal_skies_atmosphere_preset and I tweaked it a bit.
C&C welcome.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

WAS

This looks pretty good. The vegetation textures and transparency all play nicely from what I can see.

bobbystahr

Quote from: WASasquatch on November 13, 2018, 01:14:43 AM
This looks pretty good. The vegetation textures and transparency all play nicely from what I can see.

Thanks Jordan, a path or stream was suggested at the FaceBook gallery...still considering one or the other.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Oshyan

I quite like the lighting and translucency too, as a fan of backlighting in general. I bet path tracing would enhance the realism here, but if you're still on your old Dell, it's probably not up to the task unfortunately.

- Oshyan

sjefen

Looks great.
Backlighting is beautiful.

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

bobbystahr

Quote from: Oshyan on November 13, 2018, 02:34:44 PM
, but if you're still on your old Dell, it's probably not up to the task unfortunately.

- Oshyan

and neither sadly is my wallet, still on 4.1 something.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Not too bad but I like the first post better myself. Adding a path necessitated repopping and y'all know how that goes.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Oshyan

I think they're both good, not sure which I prefer. The area of the path probably needs a little roughness though, to match the realism of the rest of the scene. Or a few pebbles perhaps (e.g. Fake Stones).

- Oshyan

WAS

I like the start of the path, but maybe some smaller main scale and min scale on the textures. Would definitely would love to see some roughage between the "Mossy" ground and the path.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Oshyan on November 13, 2018, 07:12:54 PM
I think they're both good, not sure which I prefer. The area of the path probably needs a little roughness though, to match the realism of the rest of the scene. Or a few pebbles perhaps (e.g. Fake Stones).

- Oshyan

Indeed and that was the conclusion I came to...just back from our weekly music jam and my mind's a buzzing so maybe now is a good time to attack that. Not sure that I like the lighting in the 2nd one, I think that's what's buggin' me most.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Agura Nata

I like the first, looks great!
"Live and Learn!"

bobbystahr

Quote from: bobbystahr on November 14, 2018, 01:12:02 AM
Quote from: Oshyan on November 13, 2018, 07:12:54 PM

- Oshyan

Indeed and that was the conclusion I came to...just back from our weekly music jam and my mind's a buzzing so maybe now is a good time to attack that. Not sure that I like the lighting in the 2nd one, I think that's what's buggin' me most.

well to put this to bed I still prefer the first pic but here's a path version with some stones...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Oshyan

I think that definitely improves the look of the path. But I think I like the original (1st) pic a little more too, overall.

- Oshyan

WAS

Hmm, I think I like the last one the most myself. The path looks much better and I particularly like the shadows with the new grass variation in the lower left and along the path.

Dune

I like this one better. Maybe something should happen on that path (a person or 2?), and I guess DOF with the front tree blurred would be great. Some added flowers and low shrub under the trees too.