Terragen doodles

Started by germanobanano, November 21, 2018, 04:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

germanobanano

Hi!

I finally got myself a copy of Terragen. Found it a bit hard to get into at first, but I feel like I'm veery slowly getting the hang of it. I have to say it's addictive!

Don't have much to show for now, but since I'm going to be asking a ton of questions, I figured I might start a post to share my progress.

This one is using procedural erosion and post processed in Camera Raw. I still can't get over how good the skies/clouds and distant horizons look in Terragen.

[attach=1]

Oshyan

Oh wow, I love the subtlety in this one! Well done.

- Oshyan

Dune

Welcome to the forum, and this is a nice introduction indeed. Have fun and ask away (and experiment a lot).

bobbystahr

Welcome indeed and wow echoing Oshyan's comment
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

germanobanano

thanks! I has "hiding" the lack of proper shading in the subdued lighting. Still have to figure out how material layering works. But sunsets/dawns look sooo good in Terragen, that I can rarely resist lowering the sun elevation.

I've started poking around the heightfield shaders. It's really cool that you can load .imgs straight away, I can skip the geotiff conversion!

This is using a Hi-Rise dem and red band image. I still have to look into populations and fake stones, to be able to add detail if the camera gets close to the ground.

It was also fun to play around with the atmosphere and light settings to try to get something a bit more Mars like.

Oshyan

Much nicer to see in high quality here vs. Facebook :D

-  Oshyan

RichTwo

Doodle on!  It appears that you have some basics working.  But look into the File Sharing section here for lots of tasty tidbits.  Many times they can be adapted to your desires.  Good luck and have fun!  And ask questions!
They're all wasted!

DocCharly65

Quote from: Rich2 on November 29, 2018, 10:02:47 PM
Doodle on!  It appears that you have some basics working.  But look into the File Sharing section here for lots of tasty tidbits.  Many times they can be adapted to your desires.  Good luck and have fun!  And ask questions!

Welcome, nice starts and ... echo Rich2 :)

Artice-3d

Clouds are super amazing!!!  :o ::)

germanobanano

I can't believe it's been two years, apologies for the radio silence.
I hadn't used Terragen in a while and after updating World Machine I gave it a go. I'm also working on a shot and I wanted to render some latlongs, so here's some cloud test, too. I hope everyone made it through 2020 ok.

Dune

Nice scene, and good to see you back.

Hannes

Looks great!!! Very nice terrain and clouds. Welcome back!

RichTwo

Mighty fine erosional details you've gotten with WM!  What size of terrain did you use?
They're all wasted!

germanobanano

thanks for the warm welcome back.
@RichTwo I believe this was just 4k, but it's reused a couple of times with different rotations, and then there's a terragen fractal for the distant mountains.

WAS

Yeah this mixes very well in the TG world. Looks great. Love those shapes.