Pinch/expand on altitude function

Started by WAS, January 01, 2019, 04:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I have been trying to figure out how I could take a noise and expand/contract it on X/Z by a transition through altitude?  I have tried to translate a few ideas from past projects of mine in other languages but I can never seem to Port to functions. I mean. I did figure out how to NOT to what I want by leaps and bounds.

It's no wonder though. I scored 21 (technically average but  I guessed on every answer  on only picked the most related) on Elementary Algebra on my accuplacer for college. I have to take Pre-Algebra. Heh. Least I placed well into college for reading/writing. In general it showed me my math problem is degenerative. Wasn't this bad last time round in community college.

Dune

You'd need a 'transform shader by function', something I've requested a few years ago, but I guess it's pretty hard to implement. Could be possible in blue nodes, as there's one that stretches noise from 0/0/0.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on January 02, 2019, 02:57:06 AM
You'd need a 'transform shader by function', something I've requested a few years ago, but I guess it's pretty hard to implement. Could be possible in blue nodes, as there's one that stretches noise from 0/0/0.

Yeah I've tried a few ways from math formulas online and my own code but couldn't implement.

Matt

"Transform shader by function" can be implemented using a Vector Displacement Shader and a Warp Input Shader. Vector Displacement Shader converts a function into a displacement, and Warp Input Shader converts a displacement into a transform.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Dune

Thanks Matt! I miss your impeccable logical insight  :-[

WAS

Quote from: Matt on January 04, 2019, 07:14:33 AM

"Transform shader by function" can be implemented using a Vector Displacement Shader and a Warp Input Shader. Vector Displacement Shader converts a function into a displacement, and Warp Input Shader converts a displacement into a transform.

Hmm. Thank you. With that logic I wonder I can achieve what I want via positive/negative displacement and warping.

WAS

How could I make the vector displacement actually displace 360 outwarts/inwards without going a single direction?

Dune

It's the clamping of the color in this case, I suppose. Did you try a distance shader pointing up with unclamped whites/blacks?

WAS

Quote from: Dune on January 10, 2019, 02:20:49 AM
It's the clamping of the color in this case, I suppose. Did you try a distance shader pointing up with unclamped whites/blacks?

Hmm I did not. I used a SSS shape to mask the cloud noise (unclamped noise) and than tried to warp it with a constant fed into a vector displacement. I'd expect from 0,0,0 I'd get a X,Z expansion in 360 degrees.

The warping is than also limited by altitude to create it's "boundary" (which is where the curve comes from)

Here is a iteration from that first attempt.

Dune

WAS

Would love to see what your mind comes up with. I realized this morning doing more tests my setup was not at 0,0,0 but that really isn't the key.

Dune

I've tried using very soft (200% bevel) simple shape circles at various heights and rotations to warp, and that can give interesting effects. Nothing to show yet, though.

Dune

Not a perfect solution (and the cloud sucks), but maybe some ideas to play with...

WAS

Quote from: Dune on January 14, 2019, 12:07:48 PM
Not a perfect solution (and the cloud sucks), but maybe some ideas to play with...

Thank you, going to give it a look! Any new ideas are much appreciated.