New Year's Eve in the Netherlands

Started by René, January 01, 2019, 01:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

masonspappy

Quote from: N-drju on January 03, 2019, 01:05:14 PM
But you know what? I remember some ignorant American journalist, who tried to explain why ice skating is so popular and gold-yielding sport in the Netherlands. Her "qualified guess" (boy, how I love that term) was that there are lots of canals that freeze over in winter and citizens use them to get to work, shop, school, etc. Hence so many speed skating champions. Tada![/font][/size]

Sounds like she read the Cliff Notes version of "Hans Brinker"

bobbystahr

Quote from: masonspappy on January 03, 2019, 03:29:16 PM
Quote from: N-drju on January 03, 2019, 01:05:14 PM
But you know what? I remember some ignorant American journalist, who tried to explain why ice skating is so popular and gold-yielding sport in the Netherlands. Her "qualified guess" (boy, how I love that term) was that there are lots of canals that freeze over in winter and citizens use them to get to work, shop, school, etc. Hence so many speed skating champions. Tada![/font][/size]

Sounds like she read the Cliff Notes version of "Hans Brinker"

ha ha ha
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

digitalguru

I spent a New Years in Copenhagen. We were going to pay to go into Tivoli Gardens when someone said we should go to one of the bridges over the canal and see the whole thing for free.

It was bonkers, fireworks going off everywhere, like the whole city had gone off

Here's some shaky grainy footage - no exploding trees or trash bins though:

https://youtu.be/9mUm2PWNdcA

bobbystahr

had same madness here but I stayed in as it was -30 C., -43 C. w wind chill...watched it on telly
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

N-drju

@digitalguru - That's actually a very nice and "clean" show you've got there. Don't know about Netherlands, but I notice that people begin to enjoy fireworks responsibly.

@masonspappy - Don't know what she read, but I reacted by saying, that we Poles actually ski-jump to our offices right through the window. :P
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

She may have a partial point, as we do have a lot of canals and ditches. But they won't freeze over anymore, that's finished due to our overconsumption.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on January 04, 2019, 01:54:26 AM
She may have a partial point, as we do have a lot of canals and ditches. But they won't freeze over anymore, that's finished due to our overconsumption.

That's sad to hear as Dutch folk skating on the canals is an iconic image in many peoples vision.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

archonforest

Quote from: digitalguru on January 03, 2019, 05:56:28 PM
I spent a New Years in Copenhagen. We were going to pay to go into Tivoli Gardens when someone said we should go to one of the bridges over the canal and see the whole thing for free.

It was bonkers, fireworks going off everywhere, like the whole city had gone off

Here's some shaky grainy footage - no exploding trees or trash bins though:

https://youtu.be/9mUm2PWNdcA
I was there too. We might crossed our ways there hehe. 2 Terragenist almost in the same spot. Lol.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

N-drju

Quote from: archonforest on January 04, 2019, 08:53:40 AM
I was there too. We might crossed our ways there hehe. 2 Terragenist almost in the same spot. Lol.

Of course! You live in Copenhagen. :) Maybe this occasion could be an idea for a users' meeting?
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

masonspappy

Quote from: N-drju on January 04, 2019, 01:44:06 AM

@masonspappy - Don't know what she read, but I reacted by saying, that we Poles actually ski-jump to our offices right through the window. :P[/font][/size]

;D ;D ;D

inkydigit

I spent 3 New Years in Holland...
It's madness, in the city it's frightening, and even the countryside is not excluded, I couldn't believe how much smoke was generated... it was like a pea souper!
I feel sorry for the animals...
I was taught by some of the kids who worked in our place, how to maximise the bang for your buck with smaller 'bangers' by wrapping them with tin foil and or gaffer tape, then light the fuse and run!
Booom
Seems that they should be giving out free Valium and earplugs too!
Is it true Zwarte Piet is banned? Surely not!
Next it'll be pepernoten or Haring! Mmmm lekker
Forgot about patatje oorlog... what an awesome snack! :)

Dune

Oh, yes, Zwarte Piet has to vanish. Not for me though. A lot of Dutch kids loved it when they were young (Metoo!) and NEVER thought of racism at all.

WAS

Quote from: René on January 03, 2019, 03:10:42 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tki4_1W07TA

The comparison with a war zone is not entirely exaggerated. This year a firestorm was raging over the city of Scheveningen. This was the result of huge pyres on the beach.
These people are in fact pyromaniacs who are allowed to live out their obsession once a year.

I knew this was going to happen! They had an article about it's construction their "sprinklers" and on-site fireman. And I just had one thought

"One does not simply extinguish a fire upwards 2000+ degrees with water with a flaming core like that."

I mean there is a very real obvious reason why actual firefighting takes hours in a normal blaze without the abundance of fuel...

N-drju

Quote from: Dune on January 09, 2019, 06:08:58 AM
Oh, yes, Zwarte Piet has to vanish. Not for me though. A lot of Dutch kids loved it when they were young (Metoo!) and NEVER thought of racism at all.

It's the people with no lives of their own and to much time on their hands who think of such bullshit. Soon we'll ban "brownie" cookies and rename "judo" wrestling because these names are sooooo racist... ::)

Yet, as correctly observed, nobody cares about rampant firework vandalism - celebrate your nation's New Years Eve by blowing up a part of it. ::)

If they can't fix a problem, they find other "alarming" problems to divert attention. Simple. And true of any nation.