Monitor 32 inch

Started by Dune, January 15, 2019, 05:44:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaxxon

The 31 inch LG is without doubt the finest monitor I've ever used, and the work space with TG is big enough to be useful and comfortable to view. The 43" monitor is (believe it or not)  a bit too large at times. I believe that the size lends itself to displaying multiple apps or inputs, but often in the evening when my eyes are a bit weary that big screen is just what I need  :).    I agree with Oshyan, color accuracy is a primary consideration.  The LG Ultrafine monitor series are aimed at professional use to output production quality imagery and adhere to the Adobe Color Space standards (99.5% in this case). I understand that energy use may be an issue depending how your provider charges. Choosing a monitor is a big deal for sure. Good hunting!

Dune

Thanks Doug. I have a strong tendency for the Eizo (as that's what I have now, and it is a really good brand), but for the €500 more I can burn a lot of KWh's. Maybe I can sell my S2431W, which will be obsolete then. Just tested it at the Eizo site and it's in perfect nick.

Oshyan

Is energy just expensive there, or what? These differences are relatively small IMO, at least from what I'm used to of energy prices. They would amount to less than a dollar with a month of full-time use here.

As for that specific LG, it looks like it's discontinued. I don't know what the successor model would be.

I'll share my spreadsheet with you shortly Ulco.

- Oshyan

Dune

Maybe it's nitpicking and overdone climate concern, but I also don't want to have to change my powersupply also. Looking forward to your spreadsheet, Oshyan.
And speaking about eyestrain, Doug. That is one concern of mine, and I hope that will be better with a larger screen; my eyes are getting worse, and I hate to stop doing computer work. So all that helps, I'll change.
Our KWh is about €0.20, so almost twice that of the USA.

Oshyan

Ulco, is that measured power usage (30w), for example with a plugin power meter on your side? Or just what you understood the specs to be? According to the manual the Eizo you have uses "60W or less" (when USB and speakers are *not* in use). It does not have an Energy Star energy use number, which is mostly what I am finding on newer displays, so it's hard to compare. It has a "typical" usage of 19W, which may be when energy-saving tech is in use (which usually reduces brightness of the display, for example).

And of course if you are upgrading to a 32" display from 27", it is quite possible (though perhaps not inevitable, with newer tech?) that power consumption will go up. I will try to add power consumption numbers to my spreadsheet. Though they may not be directly comparable to what you have.

- Oshyan

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

This is the monitor I use, and love:  https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1UH5BM1868

Mine is the 2k version but there is a 4k version as well.  I prefer the 2k actually for my main monitor.  A 4k would be nice for a secondary monitor for viewing renders and photos, but I find working on a 2k monitor is easier on the eyes.

Derek

Dune

Thanks Derek. That's what I was wondering; how eye-tiring is it to work on a larger screen with such big resolution in comparison to a 24" with 1920x1200 resolution?

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

Hey Dune,

Here is another great monitor if your still looking:  https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16824236467

Derek

Dune