DEM not working on Linux render node?

Started by Graphoplex, February 15, 2019, 02:08:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graphoplex

Hello everyone,

I usually do my renders on Windows, where I have a heightfield shader loaded via a geog_heightfield_load to fetch my .tif elevation map. But when I tried rendering the same scene on Ubuntu, the render is exactly as though the heightmap isn't loaded.

I checked the filename to make sure it works on Ubuntu, and I don't get an error saying the file wasn't found (which happens if I input a wrong filename)... I don't get any XML error either, which leads me to believe that something wrong happens inside Terragen, but I have no idea what.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Oshyan

Hmm, this is not something we've seen before. Are there other files in the project that are loading from the same location and loading and rendering correctly? If so what file types/node types are they? e.g. Image Map Shader, OBJ node, etc.

One possible explanation is the file is actually loading, but the georeferencing isn't working correctly for some reason. If that were happening, the file would be loading but would probably end up at the 0,0,0 coordinate origin. Something you can try is to switch to Manual Georeferencing. It should maintain the settings from Auto, so the position should remain the same, but it won't rely on auto-gereferencing when it loads as far as I know. i.e. it should fix the problem if that's the issue. If so definitely let us know so we can fix it. Alternatively you could try moving the camera to 0,0,0 without making any other changes and see if the terrain is visible there.

Also, just to make sure, are you running the same exact version on Linux as you are on Windows?

- Oshyan

Graphoplex

Thank you very much for your reply. The problem was indeed coming from georeferencing—simply disabling it fixed the issue!

If that can help, here's the link to the DEM I am using: https://astrogeology.usgs.gov/search/details/Moon/LRO/LOLA/Lunar_LRO_LOLA_Global_LDEM_118m_Mar2014/cub (or if you just want the file: http://astropedia.astrogeology.usgs.gov/download/Moon/LRO/LOLA/ancillary/LRO_LOLA_DEM_SPolar875_10m.tif)

Thank you again,
– Graphoplex

Oshyan

Ah, I see. It's a Polar Projection data set. The regular Geog Heightfield Load node might not be able to handle that, but it's possible that the Geog Image Map Shader could, with Displacement enabled. Might be worth a try.

- Oshyan