Is this a mistake?

Started by gao_jian11, February 24, 2019, 09:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gao_jian11

Is this a mistake? If any preview window does not finish updating and starts rendering, then my new Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX will crash.

Oshyan

This is definitely not normal. Can you provide the exact steps to reproduce the problem?

- Oshyan

gao_jian11

I finally recorded this crashed video, and any kind of preview window will crash if it exceeds two.

KlausK

I do not think this is related to your AMD Ryzen CPU only.

https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,21772.msg219054.html#msg219054

This is a thread from 2016 which resulted in the same error message you can see.
It was during Beta 4 (quite early cycle). I did send a scene file to planetside but
never got any feedback  back then if that helped them in some way or another.

When TG 4.0 came out I for one very soon experienced the same problems your are reporting now.
After introduction of the RTP for me TG never ran as smooth as before on my machine (specs in the footnote).
Opening a few node preview windows at the same time sooner or later crashes TG as well here.
Did not change ever since. I got used to it in a way. So far I did not update from 4.1.25.
My workaround is simply to save often and use a small number of previews.

So, you are not alone ;)

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

gao_jian11

It seems different, my problem is after the replacement of amd 2990, and it seems to have nothing to do with RTP. When 2990 switches to 16 core mode, the crash will not occur.

Oshyan

Thanks, I think that video is helpful. I will say I don't think it is a wise idea to have so many preview windows open at once, even on a 32 core system. However I understand why you would want to do so. We will investigate.

- Oshyan

Matt

The more cores you have (or the more threads you tell Terragen to use in Preferences), the quicker you run into this problem. Each preview uses the same number of threads, and there's an internal limit (256 I think) which it runs into. To solve this I will need to make it smarter and reduce the number of threads per preview depending on how many other previews are running at the same time.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

gao_jian11

thank you for your reply. Now I can control the number of windows being previewed, but it's hard to prevent the terrain preview window. Can I turn it off or pause? This excellent software allows me to enjoy it and wait for it to get better.

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

That's very strange.  I frequently have 3 to 4 Shader Preview windows open as well as the RTP and don't have any issues at all (On any of my PC's including my 1950X Threadripper).  All of my PC's have a minimum of 64GB of RAM though.  Threadripper has 128GB. 

-Derek

gao_jian11

Yes, only on the 2992 Threadripper。Of course, 2400 Threadripper I have not tried

Matt

Quote from: gao_jian11 on March 27, 2019, 12:21:18 AM
thank you for your reply. Now I can control the number of windows being previewed, but it's hard to prevent the terrain preview window. Can I turn it off or pause? This excellent software allows me to enjoy it and wait for it to get better.

You can click in the shader preview and press 'P' to pause it, and again to unpause it.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

gao_jian11

This is good! effective. Thank you Matt!