Terragen 4 animation rendering crashes with latest Windows 10 updates

Started by MRV798, March 02, 2019, 11:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MRV798

Terragen 4 had been working fine with rendering animations until Windows 10 February 2019 updates came. Now, an animation will be render for several hours (or even less) and the bsod happens, usually with the following stopcode error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION. After resetting Windows 10 to a February 2 reset point, it seemed to work well, so after a week, I decided to let the updates reinstall...resulting in the same bsod SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION. I removed a couple potentially conflicting programs, but it didn't seem to help. I did uninstall and reinstall Terragen 4, and have updated Terragen 4 to v4.3.23 (the latest). Any thoughts how to resolve? The computer runs fine with no interruptions if I don't render with Terragen 4.

Coffee Lake Core i7 8700k
ROG Maximus 10 Hero (WiFi) motherboard
G. Skill 64 GB DDR 4    NVidia GeForce GTX 1070 graphics board
1 TB Samsung 960 Pro M.2 (C:Drive)
8 TB WD Gold HDD, 12 TB WD Gold HDD

Oshyan

Strange, that's something we haven't had any other reports of, and is certainly not normal. From what I can see that specific error message indicates: "that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code". The specific examples I found of this include "user-mode graphics drivers crossing over and passing bad data to the kernel code" and mention Intel drivers. While I imagine your Nvidia drivers didn't change with the update (if they did, that's something to think about too), the Intel drivers very likely did as unless you install their specific stand-alone drivers, Windows usually provides them. So that's what I'd look at first as a possible culprit. In which case maybe try updating the Intel graphics driver. Or try to roll just that driver back if that fails.

It's odd, however, that it happens during rendering and not in the GUI. When you render, are you doing it through the commandline renderer, or the GUI? If the GUI, it's still plausible it could be related to the Intel graphics driver.

Here's some more info and troubleshooting ideas on the error, though not Terragen-specific of course: https://www.wiknix.com/system_service_exception-error-in-windows-10-fixed/

- Oshyan

MRV798

Yesterday I updated to Nvidia 1070 display drivers, have done several shorter 2 hour renders successfully. I did shut down Terragen 4 after each rendering session...anyway, third time today, it went almost 2 hours and I found the bsod with the following stopcode error:  PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA   Again, this only happens if I am rendering in Terragen 4 (using GUI, not educated on Commandline procedure). Wondering if I should do a Windows SFC scan next..there is also a memory test scan too..these things do take time. So, will proceed with these over the next couple days and update when I can. Thanks for the input!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
03-03-2019:
Terragen 4 had been working fine with rendering animations until Windows 10 February 2019 updates came. Now, an animation will be render for several hours (or even less) and the bsod happens, usually with the following stopcode error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION. After resetting Windows 10 to a February 2 reset point, it seemed to work well, so after a week, I decided to let the updates reinstall...resulting in the same bsod SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION. I removed a couple potentially conflicting programs, but it didn't seem to help. I did uninstall and reinstall Terragen 4, and have updated Terragen 4 to v4.3.23 (the latest). Any thoughts how to resolve? The computer runs fine with no interruptions if I don't render with Terragen 4.

Coffee Lake Core i7 8700k
ROG Maximus 10 Hero (WiFi) motherboard
G. Skill 64 GB DDR 4    NVidia GeForce GTX 1070 graphics board
1 TB Samsung 960 Pro M.2 (C:Drive)
8 TB WD Gold HDD, 12 TB WD Gold HDD

KlausK

Hi, I do not have Win10, so I cannot help with procedures.
But first of all you have to provide more and exact data about the errormessages on the BSODs.
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA or  SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION are too broad.
There should be hexadecimal codes, drivers or any other hints to the cause of the failure.
Take a picture of the BSOD with a camera and post it.

You can try to search the internet for the error message:
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA or SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION plus additional codes or info on the BSOD.
It might lead you to procedures on how to get closer to the responsible faulting element.

Did you change hardware also lately? Hardrive, Graphics Adapter, even a new Mouse etc can be "the thing".

Just try the Memory test, do a scan and repair on your hdds, check the temperature on your components while rendering.

Did you go through the Event Viewer in the System Tools? Find Critical Errors in the logs occuring around the time of the BSOD.

Get another HDD, install a fresh new Win10 with all necessary drivers for your hardware, put TG on ther and try again - that is of course the most time consuming procedure but sometimes a lot of time is wasted on the way searching for a misbehaving driver in a corrupted OS.
If that would work you at least could be sure your hardware is ok.

Anyway, get a picture of the BSOD your seeing andf post. Maybe somebody is able to provide better input.

Good luck.
CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

MRV798

Unfortunately, Windows 10 bsod doesn't give any other codes than stopcode:PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA.

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

Do you have a QR scanning app on your phone?  You could scan that QR code to see whats in it.  I have had Windows 10 on my two PC's since Microsoft did the free Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade, and I have never seen a Blue Screen like that!  Looks Fresh and Clean!    :)

MRV798

Oshyan

Your CPU has an onboard graphics chip and I was suggesting installing/updating drivers for *that*, not for the Nvidia card. If you haven't tested installing the *Intel* graphics drivers I definitely suggest you do.

Other than that I would ask what other highly demanding software you use on the computer. If you don't use any other rendering applications that will max out all CPU cores for long periods of time, then Terragen may simply be the only software that is stressing it enough to show this issue, but Terragen may well not be the *cause* of it. I would investigate general system stability issues, heat, power, etc. Run something like Prime95 for a couple of hours and see if the same thing happens.

- Oshyan

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

MRV798,

Here are some tools you can use to monitor and stress test your PC:

CORE Tools I use:

Prime95 (For Stress Testing):  https://www.mersenne.org/download/

HWMonitor (To Monitor Temps):  https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

CPU-Z (To check some CPU, RAM and Motherboard stuff):  Web page: https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

OCCT (Another great Stress Testing App):  http://www.ocbase.com/

OTHER Tools you may find useful:

Final Fantasy XV Benchmark (Stress your CPU & GPU):  http://benchmark.finalfantasyxv.com/na/

MSI Afterburner / KOMBUSTOR Benchmarking:  https://www.msi.com/page/afterburner

Memtest86+ (Memory / RAM Testing):  http://www.memtest.org/

When I stress test a new PC build I usually start with OCCT, and monitor the temps & voltages with HWMonitor while performing the stress test.  Then I will get creative and run OCCT and Prime95 at the same time while monitoring the CPU Temps.  OCCT also does some GPU stressing and you can force it to use all of your RAM.  The Final Fantasy Benchmark test is also great for testing all around system stability since it will hit your CPU, RAM, and GPU through the entire test, but the test is pretty short so if you do this test do it after you have already heated up your system with OCCT and Prime95 to see how your PC holds up.  The other good thing about the FFXV test is it will likely put more pressure on your PSU (Power Supply) since it will be stressing your CPU and GPU at the same time.  Stress Tests that only utilize your CPU won't do much to reveal a poor quality or faulty PSU since CPUs are very power efficient these days (draw much less power than Discrete GPUs). 

I hope you and others find these tool links useful.  :)

-Derek

MRV798

Good news last week I updated the motherboard bios and it renders fine. I have to work at keeping those bios updates going along with the Windows 10 updates. Thank you for the input!

Oshyan