Nvidia AI turns sketches into "Photorealistic" landscapes in seconds

Started by WAS, March 18, 2019, 08:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

René

Interesting. I am time and again amazed by what is possible with A.I. but I don't like it. :D I don't like the results, but they will undoubtedly improve, but what bothers me most is that a machine can do this. Soon a computer can do everything I can do, only better.

WAS

Indeed. This is the eventual goal of automation despite argument. Those with the key can drive the future, and the rest are just along for the ride, if allowed.

But one thing we have to keep in mind with these demonstrations is these aren't real artistic demonstrations of the software. Just by looking at the tools I know I could make the outputs 100% better through the line tools over solid shapes. One of the shots they show he uses some lines around a boundary and it created much more natural transition than all the rest.

Upon Infinity

Maybe it's just me, and maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not too concerned about AI replacing true artistic expression.  AI has been 'composing' music for at least a decade.  When was the last time you bought even a single .mp3 of an AI-generated musical composition?  Went out of your way to even listen to one?  Can you even name one?

Meanwhile, we live in an absolute cultural vacuum.  When was the last time you went to a movie to watch an actor's actual performance?  You probably went to watch the special effects, or because it was well 'directed'. Most new movies are unwatchable.  Most new music, unlistenable.  If anything, we need a return to form, a return to basics. We're not going to AI ourselves out of this mess.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Upon Infinity on March 25, 2019, 06:55:13 PM
Maybe it's just me, and maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not too concerned about AI replacing true artistic expression.  AI has been 'composing' music for at least a decade.  When was the last time you bought even a single .mp3 of an AI-generated musical composition?  Went out of your way to even listen to one?  Can you even name one?

Meanwhile, we live in an absolute cultural vacuum.  When was the last time you went to a movie to watch an actor's actual performance?  You probably went to watch the special effects, or because it was well 'directed'. Most new movies are unwatchable.  Most new music, unlistenable.  If anything, we need a return to form, a return to basics. We're not going to AI ourselves out of this mess.

You certainly nailed down my position on these things as well...thanks for posting this. As mainly a folk singer/songwriter I shudder every time I hear autotune which is
far too often.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

N-drju

Quote from: René on March 19, 2019, 03:29:19 AM
Interesting. I am time and again amazed by what is possible with A.I. but I don't like it. :D I don't like the results, but they will undoubtedly improve, but what bothers me most is that a machine can do this. Soon a computer can do everything I can do, only better.

Yes, I remember you saying this a few months ago. I still believe though, that man-made pictures and scenery will be of more value than machine-generated ones. Actually... much like hand-painting is compared to CG... :P

Bottom line - I also do not like computerization of every aspect of human activity. Much less artistic activity for that matter... :-[ NVidia's otherwise clever idea being acknowledged of course.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"