What are the camera views viewing?

Started by Asterlil, March 24, 2019, 12:19:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asterlil

I am chugging along, learning Terragen, and just discovered the camera views button (which the Wiki doc says is 2nd from the right, when it's actually 2nd from left. Talk about yer initiative tests!  :o ). As a Blender maven, I'm accustomed to the different views -- top, left, right, etc. -- all being pinnable to whatever is selected; you press the full stop key on the numpad, and, whichever view you're in, the view zooms to whatever is selected.

Now that I want to teach myself about populating, I want to create a distribution layer so I can add objects to the region where I want to set up my scene. I happen to have found my ideal site at x = roughly -6400m. Now, in order to put my distribution layer where I want it, I select Top View ... and I don't know where I am. The view does not correspond to where I was "standing" in perspective view. If I'm reading the info correctly under the preview, I'm at xyz = 0,0,0. How do I snap the top view to the place where the render camera is? Or where the lone tree is that I intend to populate with?

I hope that question is clear. The views I'm talking about are not render views (unless I make it so via the leftmost button under the preview), but the orthographic alternate views. Maybe there's another way of approaching the placement of populations, in which case please educate me!

Dune

Ì always use the mouse (in my case; wacom pen) to move around and check things. That is very easy and flexible. Use ALT click drag to rotate, ALT+SHIFT click drag to zoom, or ALT right mouse button (upper pen button), or ALT left mouse button (lower pen button) to move.... several combinations that work like a dream for me.
There's also a way to center on an object by rightclick and choose that in preview window popup. You can place a landmark somehwre you want a population, and center on that landmark, then zoom out until you see more of the area.
And possibly more ways (which I don't use).

Asterlil

Thank you for this answer. I appreciate your help.

Your first paragraph: yes, but how do you know when you've got to precisely 90°? I have used your method of navigating, but I'm assuming you're still in perspective mode, yes?

QuoteThere's also a way to center on an object by rightclick and choose that in preview window popup. You can place a landmark somehwre you want a population, and center on that landmark, then zoom out until you see more of the area.

That sounds like what I could use. But what's the landmark, the right-click, or an object in the scene? Will the view center on that landmark if I switch to orthographic top view?

Dune

Yes, I am always in perspective.

A landmark can be added from the object menu. It won't be visible in a render, only in preview.`Rightclick in preview will bring up a popup, where you can choose to centre on an object.

If you want to look straight down, you can also get a location from the normal preview where you want to take a look from above, add a new camera (rename it properly), and set the X rotation to -90. Then raise it far enough above ground in the Y location slot, then switch camera (attach it to render, then click on the second from left button under preview (current render camera). Raise Y more if necessary.

Asterlil

Adding a new camera did the trick -- you can click to make it ortho when you first add it. You've been most helpful.  8)

Oshyan

I have corrected the documentation, thank you.

As far as camera is concerned, all the additional cameras (aside from Perspective and the actual main camera) start out centered on 0,0,0 (coordinate origin). Your best bet to get a more flexible setup that retains the position of cameras is to create additional camera nodes, as you've found.

- Oshyan

Asterlil

Yes. I'm beginning to refine my blundering, now. ;D