Girl in the sand

Started by Hannes, April 11, 2019, 10:35:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

More or less continuing this thread:
https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,26428.0.html
I found the free "American Beauty" model here:
https://www.cgtrader.com/free-3d-models/character/woman/american-beauty
which is great for testing subsurface scattering shaders. I stripped off the scene, made heavy use of the ivy generator, and created all the materials in TG.
Of course this image is absolutely meaningless, but it was fun to make it.

bobbystahr

nice work with the nail gloss etc. your texture presets come alive in that pudgy lady. and thanks for the link..some good free item there
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

DannyG

Skin looks f-ing awesome Hannes
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Oshyan

SO. WEIRD. :D I agree the little touch with the nail gloss is great! The SSS effect does look good, but a bit too translucent for realism as I imagine you know. But for a stylized result this is great. And slightly creepy. ;)

- Oshyan

Hannes

Thanks guys!
I know, it's a bit too much. Too waxy like in a lot of CG images that use SSS for skin.
But I'll do some tests with lowering the translucency power and increasing the diffuse color's brightness.

archonforest

Very nice results. Perhaps a skinnier model... :o ::) :-X
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Matt

Quote from: Hannes on April 11, 2019, 03:42:39 PM
Thanks guys!
I know, it's a bit too much. Too waxy like in a lot of CG images that use SSS for skin.
But I'll do some tests with lowering the translucency power and increasing the diffuse color's brightness.

It's not the amount of SSS, it's the scale (distance) that looks too high. I'd expect the distance traveled to be no more than a few pixels at this viewing distance.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

masonspappy

Dune

mhaze

Hannes

Quote from: Matt on April 11, 2019, 06:52:01 PM
It's not the amount of SSS, it's the scale (distance) that looks too high. I'd expect the distance traveled to be no more than a few pixels at this viewing distance.

Well, in this case I can't do anything, since I created an "inner body" of the girl as "volumetric depth", which was extremely complicated with this detailed model. It's really tough to reduce the polys of a copy of this model and then extrude the polys with a negative value (INtrude then?) without creating a total polygon mess.

Nevertheless I'll test some different balance between diffuse anf translucency.

I wonder how this will look with the SSS Matt has announced (!!!!!!!  ;))

Hannes

I tried different values for the diffuse color and the translucency. Below is a direct comparison. Though Matt is absolutely correct, and the difference is quite subtle, I think it looks more realistic now.

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Ariel DK

Nice work!
In fact, is more realistic. even if there is just a subtle difference, hands and other shadowed zones now looks indeed, shadowed...
Hmmm, what version of Terragen does God use?

DocCharly65

Thats so cool Hannes... although as a diabetic I should abhor this marzipan pig ;D ;)
Great work!