A gorgeous Spring Day ...

Started by mhall, April 10, 2019, 10:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhall

So I mostly lurk. When I do post, it's usually here. :D

As a profession, I'm a photographer. I travel (drive) around a lot photographing youth sporting events (volleyball).

Yesterday I drove from Las Vegas, NV to Sacramento, CA. Passed through Bakersfield, CA. I've got to say that some of my absolute favorite California scenery is CA 58 through the Tehachapi region in the Spring. It's just really gorgeous. Also, right up I5 through the Central Valley is beautiful in the Spring. (Summer all of this goes golden, which is why we're called the Golden State).

Unfortunately, I was in the middle of a major schedule crunch or I would have taken the day to explore and find images. Instead, I was only able to get this one. It's a handheld panorama of 5 images from a Nikon D850. Aside from a small levels pull in the shadows, this is straight out of camera. The resultant resolution, after cropping is only about 110MP, but that still gives plenty of data to play with! Taken right off the freeway at a gas station/family fruit stand.

There was a gorgeous show in the sky. I really wish I could have photographed more.

I thought I would post here for possible Terragen inspiration!

~Micheal

P.S. - The insets each represent one in square portions of a final print 40 inches wide.

Dune

Good to see you again, Micheal. Great sky. Are you doing any TG work?

Oshyan

Awesome clouds! Indeed the Tehachapi region is really lovely in spring. I find i5 to be rather dull at all other times *besides* spring, when all the fruit trees and other crops are doing their best floral show, and if you're lucky the hills too! The poppy explosions that happen just as you head up the Grapevine down near LA are also quite something.

- Oshyan

mhall

Hi Dune!

Unfortunately no Terragen work.  :-\

When I'm not photographing, I'm usually retouching/fulfilling orders or finding things to improve in our in-house software for viewing/ordering/production.

By the time the day ends, what I most want to do is get *away* from the computer!

Instead I TG vicariously through all of the artists here, who, funnily enough, I think of often on my drives.

For example, the landscapes driving through Southern Utah and parts of Colorado last year had me thinking of your and Rene's attempts at square noise.

I'm often the passenger on the drives as my father, who works for me and is a 68 year old retired driver, does not like to be driven ... so I find myself photographing out the window frequently.

I have folders of images from drives that I've shot with this forum in mind. :)

Regards,
Micheal

mhall

Oshyan I totally agree - the only way to enjoy I5 through the valley is to drive it in the Spring.

However, I will take I5 over CA 99 any day of the week for any drive through the Central Valley. :)

And the wild flower explosions in the Grapevine area are gorgeous. I remember the first time I got to see that, it looked like the hills had been painted!

archonforest

Quote from: mhall on April 11, 2019, 03:10:37 PM
Hi Dune!

Unfortunately no Terragen work.  :-\

When I'm not photographing, I'm usually retouching/fulfilling orders or finding things to improve in our in-house software for viewing/ordering/production.

By the time the day ends, what I most want to do is get *away* from the computer!

Instead I TG vicariously through all of the artists here, who, funnily enough, I think of often on my drives.

For example, the landscapes driving through Southern Utah and parts of Colorado last year had me thinking of your and Rene's attempts at square noise.

I'm often the passenger on the drives as my father, who works for me and is a 68 year old retired driver, does not like to be driven ... so I find myself photographing out the window frequently.

I have folders of images from drives that I've shot with this forum in mind. :)

Regards,
Micheal

Perhaps you can share some of the pictures? Strictly for looking. I would love to see some of them. Maybe dropbox can be used so only those can view them who gets your permission. What say you? :D
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

otakar

Wow, this is great.

I have seen images of the spring blooms in Death Valley this year and it is breath taking.

Absolutely understand the issue of just not being able to sit at the computer after a day of already being tethered to one.  It wears me out more the older I get.  I just need to retire and the problem will be solved.  ;D

mhall

Hey archonforest,

Sorry about the late response - I had to get straight back on the road for another event, and just made it back tonight.

I don't mind sharing at all. I actually took the photos with that in mind.

There's nothing particularly award winning, or breathtaking ... mostly me just entertaining myself on these long drives. These are pretty much all shot at a pretty bumpy 70 - 80 mph.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jlvtf7jw2cfv7so/AAC1uIuqU1kmWXmJLqdbk6Uja?dl=0

Hope they are in some way useful. :)

~Micheal

Dune

Well, you make pretty awesome drives. Thanks for sharing these, you made some beautiful (very inspirational) rock formations.

otakar

Great shots, especially if these are all taken at speed!  :o

mhall

Thanks Dune! Yes the drives can be quite nice.

These are all from last year where we took a southern route through great, rugged country.

This year was a northern route which is less dramatically scenic, but we got some great skies, which I'll post later!

Otakar - I think all but three of those images were taken in motion. The first two were at a gas station. Then there is another of a feature called "the wave" where one of them was at a rest stop. Everything else is from the passenger seat of the truck! Trying to make decent images in those conditions is great for keeping me awake. :)