fireplace

Started by Dune, May 14, 2019, 02:33:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

That's for the Neanderthals to do, up next after this.

At first I tried masking out the ashes from the glow by adding the glowing surface shaders, but luminance apparently can't be 'caught'. I tried 'luminance to scalar', but that didn't work either (strange?), so I had to mix the original masks.
Anyway, I also made a vdisp 32-bit 'logpile' as basis for the glowing embers; the lattter two renders.

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Dune

Some folks having fun  ;) It's all too dark, so I'll add a spotlight.....

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on May 16, 2019, 10:27:54 AM
Some folks having fun  ;) It's all too dark, so I'll add a spotlight.....

nice man
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

WAS

Really enjoy this, looks nice. I did this a few times. The one thing I notice immediately is the smallest scale for the embers needs to be reduced to 0.001-0.0025 area for sharper look. It's a little muddled and smooth like lava or something.

Additionally, isolating the the "highest" yellow int he colour spectrum and changing to a light grayscale white PF with subtle darker gray accents creates a nice burn-to-ash look.

Dune

This was the look I was after initially, soft red glow. Later (when it was mentioned in my thread) I added the yellow hotter glow. But I have a problem rendering the whole scene now  >:(

bobbystahr

Y got me curious, what happens to the rest of the scene?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

DocCharly65

The fireplace looks great now! Nice glowing smoke.
Good luck with the rendering problem!

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

WAS

Quote from: Dune on May 17, 2019, 01:41:35 AM
This was the look I was after initially, soft red glow. Later (when it was mentioned in my thread) I added the yellow hotter glow. But I have a problem rendering the whole scene now  >:(

That images "look" is definitely a result of light pollution with the sensor. you can see the yellows that should be prominent muddled by the red lighting. There's also white ash completely coloured by the ambient red glow. This image contamination is likely because of the smoke.

Also, for some strange reason, it's kinda hard to mix red and yellow in TG. Whether lava or fire embers, it's hard to get the right mixes without hard falloffs. The best fix is smallest detail between red and yellow and allow distance to do the blending -- which is probably most like real life and the light emission from the coals IRL.

Can see some coals I did recently here:  https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,24664.msg250749.html#msg250749