black screen and restart

Started by Dune, May 22, 2019, 01:44:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Thanks Attila. The GPU-Z gives around 46º when starting TG and doing RT preview. It won't be stressed more than that in my case.

I believe I installed a later version and got into problems then. And without any updates whatsoever of any other device (ofline machine), I think NVidia updates are not necessary; if it worked it should always work (except for other causes, that is).

Can you measure output power somehow other than with an electrician? Like PSU-Z  :P

I will certainly open the hatch and see to some stuff.

digitalguru

Have you tried running your PC in safe mode? It will use a standard vga driver and it might help determine if the Nvidia drivers are to blame

archonforest

Quote from: Dune on May 22, 2019, 12:02:19 PM
Thanks Attila. The GPU-Z gives around 46º when starting TG and doing RT preview. It won't be stressed more than that in my case.

I believe I installed a later version and got into problems then. And without any updates whatsoever of any other device (ofline machine), I think NVidia updates are not necessary; if it worked it should always work (except for other causes, that is).

Can you measure output power somehow other than with an electrician? Like PSU-Z  :P

I will certainly open the hatch and see to some stuff.

Check out this: AIDA64 Extreme
This apparently gives all data, even PSU data.

So temp of the GPU looks okay. I guess u have to play with different drivers now and check the PSU. A failing PSU can create tons of similar issues unfortunately. What digitalguru said is also true.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

archonforest

Looks like I was wrong about this AIDA software. I tried it and it gives no PSU data.
Sorry about that Dune. :-\

Dune

The 'problem' is that it doesn't always happen, so if I run in safe mode, what can be done? Yesterday I worked for hours again, without trouble. I also reinstalled the driver that worked perfectly for years, so I guess it's either PSU or dust/corrosion. I'll open the box of goodies today....

archonforest

Random errors are the worst to locate. When something like this happens I always 1. dust everything in full and 2. remove and re-seat parts on the motherboard to make sure everything well connected. Usually this handles a very big amount of problems.

I looked up this problem and many users complained about the same problem using different NVIDIA cards. It seemed that this issue is more related to a driver. But in your case is not fully makes sense as if u do not change anything on your pc then it should just work kind of forever.

As a note: While reading this pages some people mentioned that they had used a special program to fully-fully uninstall their drivers. Seems like a normal uninstall can leave traces on the HDD that can f..up the new driver. So take a look of this too.

Dune

Thank you. I will have a look at those programs for sure. Meanwhile dusted out, no big amounts, took GPU out, no corrosion and just a bit dusty, so I'll just continue working until it happens again.....

jaf

When installing Nvidia drivers, there's an installer option to do a clean install.  Just select "custom" during the install and select the clean install option.  Are you using the VGA connector (that's the one hooked to the ribbon cable?)  Those cables can cause intermittent problems too.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

Dune

Thanks Jaf. I just did that with the newest driver 391.35. I have an Aten switch with a connector (blue, digital I guess), if that's what you mean.
I'll try this out for a while, and if I encounter problems go back to driver 378.66.

But what would you guys recommend as settings for 3D and such in the Nvidia control panel? Lots of stuff that can be changed. For me only TG and software like PS, Lightwave, ZBrush... no games.

archonforest

I leave it on: Let the 3D app decide.

Dune

Okay. I was thinking about what happened and actually find it quite strange that the whole machine blacks out and automatically reboots if GPU/drivers fail. Didn't happen every time, but a few.