Japanese Teahouse

Started by Asterlil, May 24, 2019, 12:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asterlil

This is project #2. It's nearly done except for foreground ground cover and making the mist on the lake come out better. The project is set up for an animated camera to follow the path from a dock (not visible) to the tea house. As always, critique is welcomed. I am a beginner.

Any advice on ground fog?

DannyG

Nice depth in this, looking fed to it's progression
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Hannes

That's a nice start. Do you have shadows disabled?

Asterlil

No, I think I just had bad luck with my cloud shadows and I'll have to reseed or move the entire system, which is a shame because they are exactly right over the summit of the mountain in the background.

Dune

You can use a big simple shape to mask out (inversely mask cloud fractal) some part of the clouds that make this front shadow, just move it to where you expect the shadowcloud to be. Or localize your cloud so only distnt clouds (in view) are present. Or make a white soft dot on black square (just a small greyscale image will do) and import that as image map, set to 'project by camera'. Add a camera on your island and point that at the sun (copy elevation and rotation from sun). Use the camera to project the white dot, and use as inverted mask for the cloud fractal. That's my favorite method to burn a hole in the clouds for some sunlight at a camera's location.

DocCharly65

Nice start.
Good luck with the cloud shadows. But as I've seen there are already great suggestions here from the others :)

Hannes

Hmmm, honestly I don't think, it's some cloud setting, that causes the flat lighting. To my eyes there are absolutely NO shadows at all, except the cloud shadow itself, so is "cast shadows" of the pops' instances checked? Are you using more than one lightsource?

Asterlil

I reduced the overall size of the cloud object and moved it so it's more over the background mountain, and that made a difference. I'm now rendering images of the island from several aspects. I left the cast shadows checkbox alone, honest.  :) But I was surprised at how misty it is, in the scene, when rendered facing into the light. Perhaps that's what contributed to the absence of shadows.

Asterlil

Two more views.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Asterlil on May 26, 2019, 07:17:17 PM
Two more views.

I like the close up, and a question; with the grass pop did you enable rotate to terrain/object normal?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Asterlil

*looks guilty* Noooo...

bobbystahr

Quote from: Asterlil on May 27, 2019, 04:29:37 PM
*looks guilty* Noooo...

where slopes are involved I always do, with a bit of adjustment the grass will lay nice and flat where ever...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Asterlil

That's good to know. I'll be sure to do that in future. :)

bobbystahr

Quote from: Asterlil on May 28, 2019, 02:12:25 PM
That's good to know. I'll be sure to do that in future. :)

that's how we learn here, share from our previous error correcting discoveries...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

DocCharly65

Nice to see the learning curve developing live! :)
Nice improvements.