item selection using the object list

Started by kentm, June 07, 2019, 04:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kentm

Hello terragentlefolk,

I have a question related to selecting items...

Is there a way to have an item in the 3d Preview View affected by what is selected in the Network View or the object list? I would like to make a selection in the object list (the top left pane) or the Network View and have the selection change in the 3d Preview View change to match. Is this possible?

Thanks,
Kent

Dune

If you mean selecting and changing position/rotation/size in the left pane, the object will change in the preview, but if you mean selecting to manouvre it by hand, the only way is to use the preview object handles. Click on object directly (or in case of editing population instances, on an instance) or hover mouse/pen over preview and rightclick; popup window appears and choose object from list.
If you mean selecting an object in the left pane (or node area), and hoping it will be selected in the preview, no, that doesn't work (yet). It has been requested to be added as a feature, though.

Oshyan

As I understand it, this is a matter of philosophy, not necessarily a missing feature. So far what is selected in the node views is not inherently selected in the 3D preview. This is being reconsidered internally and may change in the future.

- Oshyan

kentm

Thanks for the feedback and pointers and pardon if I was unclear. The question was asking if there is a way to sync the selection of items in the 'Item List" (top left pane)(not sure what its officially called) with the selection of items in the 3d preview.

I personally would like to have the selection of the item in the 3d Preview match what has been selected in the Item List, to have the selections synced. I see it as confusing to having two items selected in the program at the same time. However I can see why it could be viewed as advantageous to split the selection so that an edit and move could be performed...

In this case, if I can drop in my 2 cents, I would request that the program ADD functionality, not change it, I'd request that when selecting items in the 'Item List" (top left pane) perhaps provide a right-click menu option to 'select item in the 3d preview'?

The advantage to this would be that while it's easy to select exactly the item I want in the 'Item List' I'm finding it often difficult and frustrating to select items in the 3d Preview.

Thanks!
K

Oshyan

Good feedback Kent. I'll enter that as a feature request in our issue tracker. In the meantime generally the easiest way to select things in the 3D preview is using the right-click context menu.

- Oshyan

kentm

bobbystahr

Quote from: kentm on June 10, 2019, 02:34:14 PM
Oshyan - thanks for that tip!

I get around the confusion by descriptively naming everything.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

I think it's already in the feature requests.

kentm

Is there a viewable list of feature requests? I'm super curious.

WAS

Quote from: kentm on June 10, 2019, 01:11:41 PM
Thanks for the feedback and pointers and pardon if I was unclear. The question was asking if there is a way to sync the selection of items in the 'Item List" (top left pane)(not sure what its officially called) with the selection of items in the 3d preview.

I personally would like to have the selection of the item in the 3d Preview match what has been selected in the Item List, to have the selections synced. I see it as confusing to having two items selected in the program at the same time. However I can see why it could be viewed as advantageous to split the selection so that an edit and move could be performed...

In this case, if I can drop in my 2 cents, I would request that the program ADD functionality, not change it, I'd request that when selecting items in the 'Item List" (top left pane) perhaps provide a right-click menu option to 'select item in the 3d preview'?

The advantage to this would be that while it's easy to select exactly the item I want in the 'Item List' I'm finding it often difficult and frustrating to select items in the 3d Preview.

Thanks!
K

Too build upon this, a macro key such as like Right-Ctrl or Right-Alt while clicking items to select them in the 3D preview.

It would also be cool if one day we could select multiple objects, populations and rotate, skew, reposition in an absolute fashion from their sources.

Oshyan

Quote from: kentm on June 11, 2019, 01:58:21 PM
Is there a viewable list of feature requests? I'm super curious.

The feature request and issue list we maintain is not public at this time. We are happy to let you know whether a given feature is in the existing list of requests though.

- Oshyan

kentm

ok, thanks for the info. If I do have feature requests (and I'll try to not make any until I feel I've got a handle on the program :-) ) - how do you prefer for them to be presented? Should we post here or mail directly or is there a Feature Request thread?

Oshyan

Thanks for asking! We prefer either individual posts here (to allow for discussion if needed) or direct emails to support AT planetside.co.uk. There are a number of feature request threads here over the years, you may find your own ideas and requests already mentioned. We read everything on the forums here, so any requests in those threads are things we're already aware of.

- Oshyan