Warping Smoothness

Started by WAS, July 05, 2019, 05:30:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I'd like to create soft warps, but no matter the settings of my Perlin noise (or other flavors) it's not consistently soft or uniform. Despite even uniform PF scales settings 1,1,1 and 0 roughness, the warped PF circles/waves will have hard angles/turns. If this just a limitation of the warp algorithm? From discussion with some people we seem to agree it needs work as well as new types (pinching/pushing warp shaders without a giant function tree if you know how...  :-\)

Right now I am warping by a redirect on X for waves, but similar to a river warp sometimes there will be angles rather than smooth rounded turns.

Matt

The perlin noise flavour should be smooth if the roughness is 0 and variation is 0. If you have variation you may need to enable the "better continuity" options.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

WAS

Quote from: Matt on July 05, 2019, 05:35:08 AM
The perlin noise flavour should be smooth if the roughness is 0 and variation is 0. If you have variation you may need to enable the "better continuity" options.

I'll relook at the PF here see if I managed variation to 0.

That's still a issue though meaning this is only possible with uniform perlin, no real warping shapes smoothly randomly like let's say layers in substance designer or Photoshop with filters.

Realistically if the PF has 0 roughness and every shape is a smooth transition you'd think the warping could follow that continuity.

Edit: Seems you can kinda get by this by just doing multiple warps with 0 variation with different seeds to warp "smoothly" at different positions. Rendering now and don't see any "hard turns" yet.

Matt

You can use variation, you just need to enable the "better continuity" options (which one to enable depends on whether your warp is driven by displacement or colour, so to avoid doubt enable both).
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

WAS

Quote from: Matt on July 05, 2019, 04:38:06 PM
... (which one to enable depends on whether your warp is driven by displacement or colour, so to avoid doubt enable both).

Honestly this is probably where my problem is arising. Going to have to test. I think I was using colour continuity, even though I was warping with a redirect and displacement.