Covered Bridge and Hay Rake 2019

Started by masonspappy, July 13, 2019, 01:21:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

masonspappy

Been in kind of a drought where completed images are concerned.
This is kind of a riff on previous image. The covered bridge and hay rake are new (both models received Pro Certification over at Turbosquid).
As always, C&C's are welcome!

WAS

This looks pretty awesome. Like the new model additions I suppose, though I don't think I caught the original. Maybe upload it here for reference?

Also, I am not sure if it's just me but the covered bridge seems too small? Seems to throw the scales of other objects out of sync, like the pale and rake and carriage.

Dune

Very nice render, and great models. I have only one suggestion; the floor of the bridge would probably be pretty dirty by vehicles and horses passing, so I would add a simple shape with a line of dirt through the center. I often do that if it's clearly visible. Just inisde the object, soft edged simple shape a bit longer than the bridge, with same location and rotation, taken through transform set to world, masking a surface shader (after the default shader), and pull some of the path dirt and stones in on the thus masked surface shader. Also through transform shader of course.

DocCharly65

Nice render. I like the peaceful and positive mood!

I hope I'll remember Ulco's suggestion and find it again if I need it, too ;D

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

DannyG

New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

masonspappy

Thanks for your input folks! Very much appreciated.
@WASsasquatch, I pulled a few elements from here: https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=24559.0;attach=82562;image and  here:   https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,21184.msg212144.html#msg212144

You have a good eye - the covered bridge is a short version that didn't require a central support, unlike the longer covered bridges.  What I still don't understand is why anyone ever thought it was necessary to put a roof over a bridge in the first place.

@ Dune, yeah the floor of the bridge is way to clean. I'm trying to work through the sequence you outlined to dirty it up. Thanks!!

WAS

Quote from: masonspappy on July 14, 2019, 06:08:46 PM
Thanks for your input folks! Very much appreciated.
@WASsasquatch, I pulled a few elements from here: https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=24559.0;attach=82562;image and  here:   https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,21184.msg212144.html#msg212144

You have a good eye - the covered bridge is a short version that didn't require a central support, unlike the longer covered bridges.  What I still don't understand is why anyone ever thought it was necessary to put a roof over a bridge in the first place.

Those are some nice scenes, lovely work. I see what the theme is here.

And you have a good point there, as I've been baffled why there would be a roof on bridges too. I know there was bridge houses, that rotated so ships could pass, made sense for the operator to have a roofed area to idle about. But these have existed long before mechanical bridges like this so it still baffles me.

archonforest

Apparently the roof was there to protect the wood structure from rain and snow and thus slow down decay/rot...etc.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Dune

Sounds logical, but then you'd need another roof to protect the roof  :P

WAS

Quote from: archonforest on July 15, 2019, 02:44:48 AM
Apparently the roof was there to protect the wood structure from rain and snow and thus slow down decay/rot...etc.

I guess that makes sense in traditional style with thatching and stuff but you'd think a wood roof would be much like a wood barn, and you sorta just replace the whole thing due to element exposure.

bobbystahr

re: rooves on bridges....this just in from Google
Covered bridges may have been covered for many reasons. To speculate, the biggest reason was to protect the wooden structure from the weather. Rain, snow, ice and the sun all make wooden bridges fail much faster. ... The roofs on covered bridges also kept the snow off the bridge.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Oshyan

The roof would decay slower since you can slope it and have the rain/snow run off it rather than pooling and soaking in. You can also make it out of a more weather-resistant material since it won't have horses and carts tromping on it all the time. ;)

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Quote from: Oshyan on July 15, 2019, 05:15:54 PM
The roof would decay slower since you can slope it and have the rain/snow run off it rather than pooling and soaking in. You can also make it out of a more weather-resistant material since it won't have horses and carts tromping on it all the time. ;)

- Oshyan

Well thought out man!
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist