Rotation causing Flicker

Started by cyphyr, August 08, 2019, 12:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyphyr

Got a bit of a head scratcher.

All that is happening in the video below is that the global level of the yellow sandy stuff is being slowly raised. It's a linear progression of several thousand meters over 600 frames. (the video shows a small section)

If the planet is rotating it flickers.
If I use a transform node (rotate in y that matches the previous planet rotation to simulate rotation) on the textures and displacements it flickers.

If I use no rotations it's nice and smooth.

The only thing I have still to try is to animate the camera and Sun in a way that would look like the planet was rotation.

I have tried multiple different settings in the Render subdiv settings panel all to no avail.

The only thing that works is no rotation ... but I want rotation ... meh!

Any ideas?

[EDIT] Counter rotating the camera and sun seems to do the trick
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Hetzen

I'd expect that the geo rotating is causing new sets of triangulation to be calculated in the landscape somehow, where as a camera moving would have static geo being displaced by static fractals?

Can you go into another app and parent the camera to a null at the centre of the TG planet, (may have to scale x10 or x100) and bring it back?

cyphyr

Quote from: Hetzen on August 08, 2019, 02:54:45 PMCan you go into another app and parent the camera to a null at the centre of the TG planet, (may have to scale x10 or x100) and bring it back?

This is exactly what I ended up doing in Lightwave.
Not the most intuitive way of working but the import/export fbx worked a charm :)
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Hetzen

Yeah, it kind of makes sense. You don't know what fractals are not moving with the planet, I've not seen your network to be able to problem solve it. Far easier solution to move the camera.

Oshyan

Hard to say, I'm not sure if the video has any magnification applied to highlight the issue, but it makes me wonder if it's a detail issue. What was MPD at? Were you using Defer All?

- Oshyan