TG DOCUMENTATION

Started by archonforest, August 08, 2019, 04:35:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

archonforest

I asked PS 6 or 7 years ago the same. How come u got a pro software without proper documentation? The answer I got was a bit shocking. Not sure who answered but he said the pro people and those who work in the industry can use it and learn it fast as the principles of TG are similar to other renderers. While this statement is most probably true I wasn't a pro at all. Just an individual who just paid 100 bucks and got this answer.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

WAS

Quote from: archonforest on August 08, 2019, 09:03:39 PMI asked PS 6 or 7 years ago the same. How come u got a pro software without proper documentation? The answer I got was a bit shocking. Not sure who answered but he said the pro people and those who work in the industry can use it and learn it fast as the principles of TG are similar to other renderers. While this statement is most probably true I wasn't a pro at all. Just an individual who just paid 100 bucks and got this answer.

It is definitely similar but definitely in a league of its own, with it's own quirks, impractical limitations, and bugs that haven't been addressed a decade on.

It's not professional software inherently from these flaws, but it could be so much better with attention paid to areas that need it. The consumer should come first but often changes are void of community driven discussion and all internal on a roadmap we know nothing about.

WAS

Ive spent the better part of a month looking for alternatives to TG, but TG is apparently what I'm the best at, and I like the workflow. But I can't justify spending money on it. I might as well purchase another software and force to learn it as I know the fruition from it is more of a constant based on ones ability than a variable of understanding [the software].

Soo...I'm forced to sit on the freeware and hope for a brighter future. Many have tried to contribute but we get responses like "we are working on it" literally repeated now for a decade... At this point they're more excuses, no?

And I guess my frustrations with PS and it's state have made me lash out in the community but at this point people really should speak up..changes need to be made. Somehow I have not been invited to alpha that's I've been interested in for a couple years, and as of late it seems I've put the most change into TG. The needed smooth shader instead of individually setting octaves/settings on shaders, bringing up the issues with continuation with surface shaders and other shaders. I always contribute to helping new users and old, even brainstorming and trying to solve issues or show examples. But now several years on I feel I've been contributing to a dying software that serves more of a in house use and to those that their deals. Cause I don't see work done with the software outside the same people out in the industry beyond novelty hobbyist work.

Oshyan

We'd like to focus the docs conversation into a single thread. Please continue discussion here:
https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,26812.new.html#new

- Oshyan