Latest rocktests

Started by Dune, August 09, 2019, 01:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Dune

Some more, without compute terrain still. I hope I'm not boring you guys  ;) Anyway, a nice comparison between RT and PT again, straight TG and color adjusted a bit.

mhaze

Fantastic lighting and POV.

Stormlord

Fantastic scenery and a great lightning!
Really another excellent picture created by Ulco.

STORMLORD

WAS

Very nice additions. Love the cloudy mood set with that wolf overlooking the land.

RichTwo

Quote from: Dune on August 10, 2019, 11:21:53 AMSome more, without compute terrain still. I hope I'm not boring you guys  ;) Anyway, a nice comparison between RT and PT again, straight TG and color adjusted a bit.
Boring??? I'm truly amazed - as always!  I'd never thought of using Fake Stones in such a manner, and even if I tried... well, I won't go there...
They're all wasted!

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on August 10, 2019, 11:21:53 AMSome more, without compute terrain still. I hope I'm not boring you guys  ;) Anyway, a nice comparison between RT and PT again, straight TG and color adjusted a bit.

not bored, entertained. I like Rocky mountains_09-08-19_v3-test2_autotoned_reduced.jpg the best personally.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

WAS

I'm curious what the patch size is for the fake stones, what sort of benefit it could be used for (besides this obviously). I know it's not below 0.1 because I had to do that manually for smoother less "stary" shaped stones.

Dune

What do you mean by patch size? There's no compute terrain involved. Just basic terrain, three full coverage fake stones (6m, 9m and 16m or so) in line as child on a surface shader and a mix of image map applied as surface shader of each stone. That's basically it.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on August 11, 2019, 01:34:29 AMWhat do you mean by patch size? There's no compute terrain involved. Just basic terrain, three full coverage fake stones (6m, 9m and 16m or so) in line as child on a surface shader and a mix of image map applied as surface shader of each stone. That's basically it.

As you noted, no need to compute fake stones. This is because it has its own within it of some sort. That's why they are rounded to some degree and not just voronoi displacement shaped.

I'm wondering what that computation scale is at.

This is also why you can offset on lateral within the stones surface shader. Otherwise how else are we getting that compute of the stones?

Dune

Ah, that computation scale. Yes, I'd like to know how that works too, though it's not important. It works.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on August 11, 2019, 03:25:08 AMAh, that computation scale. Yes, I'd like to know how that works too, though it's not important. It works.
Well it's pretty darn important to lateral displacement computation 😅😂 drastically impacts look.

Knowing helps me base my work around it. Might even be cool to expose it as a setting.

These are things docus are for.

Dune

Some more.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on August 15, 2019, 01:12:14 AMSome more.

Awesome. Looking great. The blocky rock forms are very nice here. A good mix between edges and rounder outcrops imo.

I like the textures in the first the best, and displacement in the last the best.

Great work, Ulco.

mhaze

great stuff no1 is my favourite.