Upgrade to Windows 10 Free (still)

Started by WAS, August 13, 2019, 11:46:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

@D.A. Bentley brought this too my attention awhile back and I had this article in my news feed and thought I'd share. May be useful info to some.

https://lifehacker.com/the-best-ways-to-get-windows-10-for-free-1837174464

Oshyan

Media Creation Tool worked for me as of a few days ago on a friend's laptop running Win 8.1. It was an OEM install of course and I wonder if a retail 8.1 might not work...

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on August 14, 2019, 02:41:43 AMMedia Creation Tool worked for me as of a few days ago on a friend's laptop running Win 8.1. It was an OEM install of course and I wonder if a retail 8.1 might not work...

- Oshyan

From what I understand it should work. I've read the limitations people get are from previously upgraded version or PC.  Should be able to upgrade free from retail.

You can upgrade a Retail copy free, and it is transferable to other PCs, but a OEM version upgraded to 10 is not transferable to other PCs. So the OS that was upgraded has it's key used to log where it was installed from, and also has it's key locked to that PC.

That may be where people are reporting they cannot upgrade, because the OS they are attempting to upgrade from is OEM, and the key they are using is already bound to a Win 10 copy, for another PC.

To add to this, I believe this is to fall in line with OEM EULA, where the OEM OS is only for that distributed PC.