Planet-wide terrain is not spherical mapped

Started by torebernhoft, August 19, 2019, 08:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

torebernhoft

Hi,
I try to create a planet-wide terrain using a "Power fractal shader", but it does not map it to spherical, but rather mirroring on the backside with a stretched area at the bottom (as you can see on the attached render)

PS! I did try with image-map and spherical mapping and that works, but I can't see the option for spherical mapping with the "Power fractal shader"...

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Tore
Terragen 4 pro

Hannes

Hi and welcome to the forum!
You could try to feed the PF into an input transform shader and check "use world space". That should help, but you may have to adjust the size of the PF.

cyphyr

Wow! I love that shader.
 But I don't think that's a Power Fractal shader ... ot if it is can you tell how you got that result?

The Power fractal shader should not need any spherical mapping since it is essentially a three dimensional shader which will map onto a sphere where the texture and sphere intersect.
Hannes idea is a good one though.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Dune

Looks like the 'foam' shared a few times, latest by Hannes.

WAS

Are you using the fractal warp shader? It is not 3D but 2D as Matt just told me.

Also it does kinda look like some sort of erosion is applied on large scale? Maybe just my phone's screen and looking at it so small. But if so, that would be on Y too, and may not work right.

torebernhoft

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

Yes it's a fractal warp, but with a fractal terrain shader on top.
I also just noticed that post @WASasquatch about fractal warp, and that is for sure what is causing this on my project too.

I will try your other suggestions and also see other ways to add some warp to the terrain. I guess local effectors at different locations with some flat warp maybe?
Terragen 4 pro

WAS

Quote from: torebernhoft on August 19, 2019, 02:29:45 PMThank you all for the warm welcome!

Yes it's a fractal warp, but with a fractal terrain shader on top.
I also just noticed that post @WASasquatch about fractal warp, and that is for sure what is causing this on my project too.

I will try your other suggestions and also see other ways to add some warp to the terrain. I guess local effectors at different locations with some flat warp maybe?

You can use the Warp Input Shader with a Vector Displacement and a PF, playing with the vector displacement amplitudes. You can also use a Redirect Shader instead of a Vector Displacement, and use 3 PFs for XYZ.

Also, Welcome to Planetside Forums! Don't hesitate to ask questions.

Dune

Yes, welcome. Hope you'll be posting some of your work. It's not as lively as it used to be here, but there are still a few people around who might be able to answering any questions.

torebernhoft

Quote from: Dune on August 20, 2019, 01:45:50 AMYes, welcome. Hope you'll be posting some of your work. It's not as lively as it used to be here, but there are still a few people around who might be able to answering any questions.
Thanks! Yes, I will post my work as I progress... really appreciate that I can come here for guidance and inspiration :)
Terragen 4 pro

torebernhoft

Quote from: Dune on August 19, 2019, 11:53:30 AMLooks like the 'foam' shared a few times, latest by Hannes.
Hehe, I understand. But it's all just fiddling around on my own. I only reference and see how things are made from tutorials to learn, but my plan is to create everything from scratch to keep it original for my own work, and to keep learning it from the basics and up ;)
Terragen 4 pro