Saale

Started by Dune, August 16, 2019, 01:10:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

A long way from what I want, but it's a start. The water took ages, so I have to find a faster way too.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on August 16, 2019, 01:10:58 AMA long way from what I want, but it's a start. The water took ages, so I have to find a faster way too.

Love the surface textures. The ice rocks are pretty good. I'm not too fond of the glaciers though, and with the Mammoth added it throws everything out of scale. Though that than reminds me of a old movie I saw where this lady had an Elephant in her side bag, little mini Elephant. Lol

Dune

Ice sheet is supposed to be this high (at least 200m), breaking up when temperatures rose again. But as said, a long way from what I wanted, but to set the scale I needed the mammoth.

bobbystahr

Awesome ice, and them there mammoths once noticed, actually do convey the massiveness of the ice.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Hannes

Cool looking ice! And I like the water very much. But indeed the mammoths look a bit like like chihuahuas ;D . I'd say size matters! They could be at least five times bigger.

Dune

They're exactly as they should be, 3m high, compared to a crumbling ice sheet of 200m thick. Can't help it :P

WAS

Their size relation to scales used to create something is kinda irrelevant. The scene is out of scale imo. Doesn't look real. The ground scales looks like boulders you'd be weaving in and out of as a person walking. Nothing really showing the large scale with small scale detail. This is all contributing to each other, wave scales, foam scales, rocks, glacier boulders, and than the glaciers themselves and scales used. When coming together they give you the scale relation.

Also as far as the Glaciers. The weird blue lines are very telling that it's fake. These lines IRL are created by thawing water mixing with debris filling cracks and very defined.

In the example uploaded, I'm given a sense of scale by the level of fine detail in the Glacier, and the scale of the water.

Dune

Yes, the lines are no good, as a lot of other stuff (as said before). They were experimental. Hard to get the dark but still kinda glowing blue cracks.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on August 18, 2019, 01:07:44 PMYes, the lines are no good, as a lot of other stuff (as said before). They were experimental. Hard to get the dark but still kinda glowing blue cracks.

I bet. I've given up on numerous glaciers. x.x

Couple images I looked at made me want to try again with some erosion.

Agura Nata

"Live and Learn!"

RichTwo

I'm with you (Ulco) on the scale of the ice cliffs.  Maybe some smaller features such as the striations and cracks?  I'm sure you could figure that out - but I sure couldn't...
They're all wasted!

Dune

Thanks Rich, but I have abandoned it for now, as it wasn't what was needed after all. Ice had retreated a few hundred (or thousand) years in the period to be depicted, so it should be more tundra-like (with neanderthals, like this one under construction).

Dune

Speaking of Neanderthals ;D

WAS

Quote from: Dune on August 22, 2019, 01:57:24 AMSpeaking of Neanderthals ;D

LOL I don't know why this gives me déjà vu, but I love it.

zaxxon

It's too bad your client won't need the Glacier, the last image was really impressive. I especially liked the lit areas towards the top, very nice considering TG's lack of sub-surface scattering.