Hurricane a first try :)

Started by torebernhoft, August 24, 2019, 07:35:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

torebernhoft

My first take on a hurricane made completely within nodes and without using a masking image, as my goal is to have it completely procedural.

I used a "simple shape" circle to flat out the center and another for the hole.

A question though, how could I easily add some roughness (uneven) edge to the simple shapes?

hurricane_test_1.pnghurricane-nodes.PNG
Terragen 4 pro

Dune

Add a warp shader under the simple shape, add a vector displacement shader as function input of that warp shader and use a PF as input for the vector displacement shader, which combination will push and pull the edges of the circle about. Then play with values, and see what happens. Too much and the circle  will 'desintegrate', so it takes some experimentation. Or a simple fractal warp can do a lot to that simple shape shader (SSS), but is less controlable.

torebernhoft

Terragen 4 pro

torebernhoft

Some progress made, I feel more confident with the nodes thanks to your help :) Further feedback and suggestions would be much appreciated though!

hurricane_test_6.png
hurricane-nodes-2.PNG
Terragen 4 pro

DocCharly65

torebernhoft

Terragen 4 pro

torebernhoft

Quote from: Mcaseter on August 26, 2019, 03:09:59 AMAll the problems I've encountered May end by seeking knowledge from this post.
Wonderful ;)
Terragen 4 pro

torebernhoft

When I started on this I did not take the scale into account, since I was just testing it out. So now it's scaled up to a more realistic size and detailing. Also moved the eye-of-the-storm and rotation a bit off center to create a "throw out" effect as the hurricane is moving. The eye is wide here... reminds me of the NASA documentary when flying into the eye and taking all kinds of measurements, that was a wild ride! At least before they reached the eye...

What do you think?

Now I want to add a kind of explosive effect with clouds spread outward from a center + mackerel clouds/ridges on the disc. Any tips on how to do that?

Cheers :)

hurricane_test_7b.png
Terragen 4 pro

torebernhoft

Morning! An updated version, changed the eye to use altitude offset instead. Much better and with taper control of opening at depth. Very nice effect! Also many other subtle improvements. Next would be to add some "wind" effect on the edges.

hurricane_test_12.png
hurricane_test_12_detail.png
Terragen 4 pro

torebernhoft

Terragen 4 pro

Dune

It looks very good. I guess you'll be adding some 'normal' cloudcover too?

Oshyan

Great to see your progress! It's definitely looking good. I'm not sure I've seen someone take the procedural approach this far (well, except for Hannes' tornado, hehe). Some of the better hurricanes of the past have been image-based masking I believe. So I'm very curious to see what the end result looks like here.

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

I like this a lot and having failed a few time in my attempts I now know I just gotta keep on tweaking....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

torebernhoft

Quote from: Dune on August 27, 2019, 01:45:19 PMIt looks very good. I guess you'll be adding some 'normal' cloudcover too?
Thanks, love to hear that! Yes I plan to add it into normal clouds in different scenarios. It will be used in airline flight training courses. But also for a lot of other things in my personal projects.
Terragen 4 pro

torebernhoft

Quote from: bobbystahr on August 27, 2019, 03:47:00 PMI like this a lot and having failed a few time in my attempts I now know I just gotta keep on tweaking....
Appreciate that! And yes, the tweaks, the tweaks;)
Terragen 4 pro