Adjust color contrast in a PF set

Started by N-drju, August 30, 2019, 06:44:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

Okay, so now I've got six power fractals made for a texture.

However, I would like to use said fractals as yet another texture, albeit - with different contrast value of each PF.

Question - is it at all possible, to modify the contrast of all PFs at once? Or do I need to copy all PFs and adjust them separately for a new use? ???

Darn it... please move this topic. My mistake...
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Tangled-Universe

No you don't need that.
You can connect a colour adjust below the six power fractals and use that colour adjust to change the output of those 6 all at once.

Then connect that colour adjust to a surface layer's child input or even better, its colour input.
The colour input is nice because then in the surface layer itself the colour value becomes the multiplier for the input coming from the colour adjust.
Default value = 0.5 and thus will multiply by 0.5. Set it to 1 so that it fully represents the input from the colour adjust.
This means that if your more contrasty texture from the colour adjust also needs to become a bit darker that you can reduce the value from 1 to <1. Or vice versa!
You cannot do this if it's connected to the child layer input.
Of course, all height/slope restrictions still work.

N-drju

Thanks Tangled, this is indeed a useful tip. I knew it could be done, and that there has to be a node that can be an "overarching authority" to steer all of the PFs. Surface layer proves, time and again, to be very handy.

While you were typing, I also came up with another simple idea. The "smoothing filter shader" of course.

It generally "dillutes" the previous inputs, which I was after. However, one has to be careful - even minuscule inputs in the "scale value" will have significant impact. Take a look at how small the value is and how different the results of "COL 5" and "De-contrasted" are.

And just for the practice sake, I also tried to add a few blues to further deepen the effect. I used "Clamp colour" node and entered values through constant scalars. Again - I advise modesty rather than whimsical experimentation when entering these values as they also have large impact on the overall effect.

decontr.png
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Tangled-Universe

Ha, those are very nice approaches as well! I'd never consider a smooth filter shader for this, but it's plain obvious in a sense, altough you also remove small scale details completely.

Clever work, you don't need me ;)

N-drju

Hehe, thanks for that. ;)

As far as the small-scale trade-off goes, it can partially be averted by setting an even smaller smoothing scale. Alternatively, one could move some of the small scale items downstream from the smoothing filter so that they are not affected.

Matt

Cool use of the Smoothing Filter Shader :)
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Dune

I used the smoothing filter sometimes to divert a line of the ground colors to a fake (so, non transparent) water layer, indeed using the color input of a surface shader and taking it also through an adjust saturation node, and sometimes adding a darkening by altitude, taken off a displacement to scalar.
The clamping is a nice idea.