rotating vector displacement map

Started by Dune, August 30, 2019, 02:51:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

I've had this before, but not always, and forgot what's the solution. Rotating a vector displacement map doesn't give me the result I hoped for. It just messes up the displacement. I guess it's the way I made the map, so my question is; what should I use; world, object, absolute tangent or relative tangent?

Dune

I've tried all 4 options just now, but can't seem to rotate any of them decently within TG, either with rotate vector or transform shader, before vector displacement shader or after..... So I'm curious if anyone has a good solution to rotating vdisp maps.

N-drju

Maybe it's just an issue with the "transform input" placement in the node network? I don't know, like moving it after the "rotate vector"?
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

Matt

Are you saying that the map works when you don't rotate it, but when you rotate the map (using a transform shader) you also need the vector values to change?

I imagine that should work with a "Rotate Y" node but I have not tried this in practise. That should change the X and Z (R and B) values coming from the map.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Matt

Also try reversing the rotation. There may be a sign change.

j meyer

I've looked it up in one of our VD-tgds from 2018 and the working solution was:
first the VD, then rotate y vector(blue node) e.g. 90°, then transform shader
rotate y 90°.

Matt

Good to know that can work! The order doesn't matter because they operate on different things. You could transform the map before manipulating the colour, or vice versa.

bobbystahr

Quote from: j meyer on August 30, 2019, 12:05:04 PMI've looked it up in one of our VD-tgds from 2018 and the working solution was:
first the VD, then rotate y vector(blue node) e.g. 90°, then transform shader
rotate y 90°.
nice save Jochen
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

Yes, of course, I now remember that. Thanks for reminding me, Jochen. The different rotations didn't work, and your first line was indeed the problem, Matt.

In the meantime, though, I used a simple shape and vdisped that. It was a simple slanting hole anyway.