Trying to Make a Planet

Started by RichTwo, August 31, 2019, 01:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichTwo

No big issue, just curious.

I am trying to make a planet object using the node network of the .tgd from this:
https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,26854.0.html

What I did was copy / pasted into internal network of a default planet object and saved as a clip file.  The planet has exactly the same radius.  I simply deleted the default PF and Atmo and connected the pasted network and atmo.  I open a new project, added the clip file.  And I got a solid white planet that has fractures crisscrossing its surface, nothing at all similar to what renders out on the original .tgd.

I also saved the planet from the original .tgd as a clip file, and it renders out featurelessly solid black.  And doesn't have the bounding box of a planet object.

I must be incorrectly assuming that in essence the "home" planet and a planet are both objects and should behave similarly.  They obviously do not.

UPDATE: I disabled all nodes labeled as "snow".  Seems like it covered the entire surface.  Now I am seeing features.

Anyway, here's the clip file and a low-res test render.
They're all wasted!

Oshyan

The north and south pole texturing is limited to those areas by Y coordinate-based altitude constraints. So unless the planet is positioned in exactly the same place in your scene as it was in WAS's original, the snow distribution will be different (and often extreme, either no snow or all snow, as you encountered). You can fix this by adjusting the Y values in the north and south pole mask shaders in his node network, or just disable the snow if you don't need that effect.

- Oshyan