Starship Mars Sunset

Started by cyphyr, August 30, 2019, 04:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on September 01, 2019, 01:59:13 AM@N-drju: I was merely refering to Matt's remarks. I don't have a clue myself.

I like this new version much better, but there's something about the starship that makes it look 'pasted' on. Perhaps the seemingly glowing edges around its feet.
Liking this new iteration but maybe it needs sinking into the planet a bit and some landing debris around it would certainly help allay that impression.
EDIT: Also on re viewing it the helmet lamps are stellar and make a big impact.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

N-drju

Quote from: bobbystahr on September 02, 2019, 03:53:05 PMLiking this new iteration but maybe it needs sinking into the planet a bit and some landing debris around it would certainly help allay that impression.

Yes. That was my impression too - that the ship does a little elf-ish thing by being featherlight, while anybody else would just sink into the Martian sand. ;)
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

cyphyr

Yeah this is true, I think it's due to the overly harsh reflections which give a weird outline. Difficult to resolve because keeping the reflection value down below 1 (or at 1 or even 2) in the realms of reality makes it very dark and non chrome.stainless steel like.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

DocCharly65

I like bobbies idea. But I also like the charme of simplicity and the ambience. Nice work!

Dune

I would just mask those reflections out of the underparts (distribution shader), which would have been scorched and sooted anyway. That alone would probably make a huge difference

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on September 03, 2019, 01:37:16 AMI would just mask those reflections out of the underparts (distribution shader), which would have been scorched and sooted anyway. That alone would probably make a huge difference
Agree with Dune, hadn't thought of that me own self.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

SILENCER

Ground shadows will pin your subjects to the terrain.