A Touch of Gray

Started by RichTwo, September 03, 2019, 07:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichTwo

Hm.  I had second thoughts about it.  But see we need a little more activity it seems.  It's in essence a carbon copy of what I've posting here.

The only thing I changed was the large planet.  I used it as an experiment only for render times, and definately not the quality of the file from which I am grateful to have liberated.  As I rendered the planet only in a project I was testing, its time was much longer than what I had been seeing using Oshyan's render settings.  And as he had stated, even astral planets with extreme displacements can be an effect.  So as with this the render was almost 2X. To me it worth a price to pay render-wise , provided I wanted a highly detailed planet in the sky.  But If I don't, then I won't.

It's all a matter of opinion, I figure.
They're all wasted!

N-drju

This render is definitely worth the wait. The shallow water body in between the rocks is a nice addition. Some would probably say that the formation on the first plane is obscuring the view, but I don't mind it at all - it actually looks good.

Good job on the sky. It reminds me of the F.A.K.K. 2 game where you also had two moons (planets?) hanging in the sky and had various clouds going through said sky - bright, dark, foggy, ominous. Ahh, the memories. :) This was the first "complex" game of mine and I was stunned by the heavens I found there.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

bobbystahr

I really like this iteration...well done.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

RichTwo

OK - so I seem to figuring a few things out.  I did some more experimenting with the large planet.  I removed quite a few of the time-costly displacement files.  I only want the planet to stand out, but not be the star of the show.  Just be there where you feel its presence a tiny bit more.  (heck - you can't even see lunar craters from here without help - Boring...)

I was mistaken for stating the render factor on the first one - it was more like 4X!  Maybe I don't want THAT...  This one is closer to 2X longer and satisfies my expectations.

Thanks to those offered comments - I welcome all!
They're all wasted!

Dune

I like this render. Great clouds too!

Ariel DK

The last one is really gorgeous! the mesa formation behind needs some extra work but is fine anyway  :)
Hmmm, what version of Terragen does God use?

j meyer

Nice one.
You have quite a good collection of old school sci-fi covers already.
Keep it up.

RichTwo

Well - I can't resist.  One more.  Or maybe not. It depends on what I discover.   It too is a reiteration - and using the same files as the previous with the vertical outcrops, just a few adjustments.
They're all wasted!

Dune

Very nice too. But it needs some rocks on foreground!

By the way, what cloud did you use in version 6? And what seed? I really like that constellation of clouds.

mhaze

bobbystahr

I like the darker ones best I think, notably the last iteration. But I do agree with Dune, the foreground needs some cool stones....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

RichTwo

I agree with Bobby and Ulco. Foreground is kind of dull. There are rocks (look to the lower left) but because of shading they're not obvious.
To answer Ulco's query about clouds on version 6 - nothing fancy. Just the Easy Cloud altocumulus castellanus, large high altitude, and density at 2.5. It's kind of my go-to for nice clouds.
They're all wasted!

Dune