Shores of Distant Worlds - Alpha Centauri B

Started by Chris-HB, September 05, 2019, 12:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris-HB

Shores of Distant Worlds

The habitable planet of Alpha Centauri B has been the topic of intensive research since its discovery was announced in 2035. For decades, arrays of telescopes have been aimed at this world and scientists tried to extract every bit of information from blurry images. Poets wrote entire volumes of phantastic stories about the lifeforms they thought existed there...

When the first expedition touched down on September 5th 2396, scientists noted the huge areas of swamp covering most of the northern continent. One of the most remarkable creatures they recorded was the Selachophyton, more like an animal than a plant, though it is immobile for most of its life. The Selachophyton waits patiently in the shallow waters and damp shores for prey. Any careless creature venturing too close may find itself within the predator's fangs. Growing 4-5 meters tall, the Selachophyton is a creature to be respected.

Later - and totally illegal - private sightseeing tours noted cases of people missing after visiting a Selachophyton stand, so authorities advise you to watch this lifeform only from a save distance.

Software: Terragen 4 Professional, tree models from xFrog and own work

https://www.deviantart.com/chrisklm/art/Shores-of-Distant-Worlds-Alpha-Centauri-B-812222696

Landschaft 2 23c gross.jpg

Matt

I love the description and the atmosphere. But many of the Selachophyton appear to be floating above the terrain, while others appear planted.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Matt on September 05, 2019, 04:23:36 PMI love the description and the atmosphere. But many of the Selachophyton appear to be floating above the terrain, while others appear planted.
I never  noticed that till this post, maybe hang a Compute terrain off the end of the Shader stack and use that for your anchor...I generally do if I have any displacements in the Shaders.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

RichTwo

Nice concept for a sci-fi theme - with life...!  Not only possible, but probable. And these - what if they became sentient some distant time in the future.  Like we did.  Something for your idea...?
They're all wasted!

Chris-HB

Quote from: Matt on September 05, 2019, 04:23:36 PMI love the description and the atmosphere. But many of the Selachophyton appear to be floating above the terrain, while others appear planted.
Thank you. You are right. This is due to the very shallow water near the waterline and the strong reflection. Further down the water, the models actually sink into the water, as they are anchored to the terrain.

I will consider this.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Chris-HB on September 08, 2019, 12:56:44 PM
Thank you. You are right. This is due to the very shallow water near the waterline and the strong reflection. Further down the water, the models actually sink into the water, as they are anchored to the terrain.

I will consider this.
check my previous reply for a possible solution.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist