Exoplanet Again

Started by RichTwo, September 16, 2019, 05:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichTwo

I'm still trying things out, and staying well within a half hour render time.  Some of my experiments really did cost a pretty penny render-wise - and did not seem to me to be worth it.  So keeping is simple works out fairly well.  I only did a slight post-sharpen here, otherwise straight off the render.
They're all wasted!

Dune

Really nice terrain and scene as a whole. For speed of render try to use as little compute terrains/normals as possible, that also helps a great deal.

René

Very nice rocks and textures!

CredePendrel

Really cool! I love the transition from cracks & crevices on the left to the rocky ground on the right in the foreground!

bobbystahr

Really nice terrain and scene as a whole for me as well, but you went a bit far with the post sharpening. Just my take.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

RichTwo

Here's another.  And here is my take on it. 

This planet has incurred a temporary satellite.  Its orbit is greatly elliptical, but at each pass over tens of thousand of our years it grows ever closer to its adopted parent world.  But it is on a collision path, with impact probably another tens of thousands of years. 

During the final stage of orbit it would be visible by day and night, sometimes appearing as this size or only slightly smaller.  This is no city or mountain sized hunk of space rock.  At is major axis it is nearly 900 kilometers across.

When it eventually impacts this world, the entire surface will be transformed.  And reformed.  Such as our own Earth has done.  Many times over.

Credits to Ulco (Dune) for the terrain.  Hannes for the basic color layout.  Jordan (WAS) for the wonky moon.  And me for the atmo and clouds  ;D . Except for the cirrus. Those are Mick's (mhaze)...
They're all wasted!

Dune

RichTwo

...And again.  I think I finally got a planet that viewed close by will show sharp detail.  It's a part of WAS's share of his planetary shader, heavily adapted.  Terrain is Dune's, also given a shake up.

Then I did something different.  The second one of course a different view but I added a large visibly displaced planet.  I did a render without the clouds and it took 2X the render time with them. Still within a realistic timeframe however.  All good.
They're all wasted!