A Star Wars image

Started by Hannes, September 19, 2019, 04:09:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

Found another (better) Millennium falcon at Sketchfab, picked a lot of bits and pieces of it and assigned some rusty metal materials to them. And I wrecked the imperial star destroyer (image maps, procedural and some mesh displacing).

mhaze

Dune

Awesome. I love the way that huge craft has become part of the terrain. Great light too.

CredePendrel

j meyer

8) Cool image.
The Tyderium? in the pond is a nice detail. ;D

zaxxon

While I am not a fan of the Star Wars franchise, I really think this image is wonderful. The two figures in front imo take away from the masterful work in the mid and back ground. The wreckage of the Star Destroyer and the marvelous atmosphere are what makes the scene for me. Great work Hannes!

masonspappy

This is great image! The atmosphere and wrecked battle cruiser in the background are awesome!
Also agree with Zaxxon's comment about the 2 foreground figures detracting from the rest of the work.
But overall this is really great stuff!

Tangled-Universe

That's really cool Hannes!
Where did you get the Star Destroyer from, also Sketchfab?

I was wondering, with a composition and field of view like this, whether if depth of field would add a nice 'filmic' touch to the shot?
Or otherwise reconfigure camera for 200 or 300mm focal length, match the frame to this render, set focal distance to the Millenium Falcon and set aperture size to <f/11.
It should make the star destroyer just slightly out of focus. I don't know why I'm explaining all of this, you probably know what I mean and how to do it.

Hannes

Thanks a lot, guys! Interesting, that some of you find the characters a bit distracting. I put them in to have some size reference. But if you work on an image for quite some time you may loose the view of the whole. But somehow I like them.

Martin, the star destroyer is from Sci-Fi 3D:
http://www.scifi3d.com/details.asp?intGenreID=10&intCatID=8&key=534

I have to say, that I don't think, that DOF would look good here. Sometimes DOF is used in CG images just because you can do it, but a lot of times it makes the whole scene look like a miniature. Maybe I'll try that, but at the moment I'm rendering a short animation of the falcon flying alongside the star destroyer. And it takes quite some time, because I'm rendering with the path tracer (which I also did for this image here). I really looks way better.

Tangled-Universe

No problem at all Hannes, it's your project and your creative eye and decisions :) 
I agree that dof can make things seem miniature, but that's usually because the dof is inaccurate (exaggerated). 
If all these models are real world scale and you use real world camera settings then you will also get realistic dof.

I'd love to see the animation! Perhaps the first PT rendered animation thus far?

Hannes

I'll definitely try the DOF as soon as possible. And yes, the scale of the objects is more or less correct. I'll see...

I'll post the animation as soon as it's done.

CredePendrel

Quote from: Hannes on September 20, 2019, 03:50:53 AMThanks a lot, guys! Interesting, that some of you find the characters a bit distracting. I put them in to have some size reference. But if you work on an image for quite some time you may loose the view of the whole. But somehow I like them.

Martin, the star destroyer is from Sci-Fi 3D:
http://www.scifi3d.com/details.asp?intGenreID=10&intCatID=8&key=534

I have to say, that I don't think, that DOF would look good here. Sometimes DOF is used in CG images just because you can do it, but a lot of times it makes the whole scene look like a miniature. Maybe I'll try that, but at the moment I'm rendering a short animation of the falcon flying alongside the star destroyer. And it takes quite some time, because I'm rendering with the path tracer (which I also did for this image here). I really looks way better.
Wow! Very cool link! There is some awesome stuff here! Thanks.

Hannes

Indeed! And the maker of the destroyer has the nickname Fractalsponge. Google for it (and hold your jaw, before it drops!! ;) )

CredePendrel

Quote from: Hannes on September 20, 2019, 08:00:03 AMIndeed! And the maker of the destroyer has the nickname Fractalsponge. Google for it (and hold your jaw, before it drops!! ;) )
.....wow!

Hannes

Here is a test image with Martin's suggestions. I don't think, there is much visible DOF blur, if any. But I guess, the falcon is way too far away from the camera to get some blur.