Een vraagje voor de Nederlanders

Started by Dune, September 30, 2019, 08:20:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

En dus in het Nederlands ;)  Ik vraag me af wat een logische vertaling zou zijn van 'render'. Ik had eerst op mijn site CGI werk gezet, maar wie kent dat? En TG werk is natuurlijk niet 'alleen maar' door de computer generereerd. En nu '3D renders', maar daar krijg ik soms ook een opmerking over; wat is dat? En '3D werk' kan ook niet, want het zijn geen beeldhouwwerken. Soms denken opdrachtgevers ook dat ze (door het noemen van 3D) makkelijk zelf kunnen rondlopen in het gemaakte landschap, duh.
Suggesties zijn van harte welkom!

zaxxon

"And so in Dutch;) I wonder what a logical translation of 'render' would be. I had first posted CGI work on my site, but who knows that? And TG work is of course not 'only' generated by the computer. And now '3D renders', but sometimes I get a comment about that; what is that? And '3D work' is also not possible, because they are not sculptures. Sometimes clients also think that (by naming 3D) they can easily walk around in the created landscape, duh.

Suggestions are very welcome!"

I took the liberty of making a Google translation into English of Ulco's question. It's a good question no matter what the language. I think that we all are at a disadvantage in defining what it is we do in this 3D "Render" world as opposed to the better known traditional art mediums. The English word "render" can have several meanings, and is confusing to say the least. To 'render' down fat? " 'Render' unto to Ceasar what is Ceasars"? To 'render' a likeness' with pigments, that might be understandable to most artists and to people who appreciate the arts, but it still conveys little  of what a 3D Render is. I usually end up with a too lengthy explanation, and always have some difficulty with the process of "rasterization". Ulco, if you find a simple, but illuminating way of describing the subject in Dutch, it would be helpful to share an English translation with the rest of us. Most of my non-computer savvy friends still think it's some form of photography that the computer 'creates', sigh...

Dune

;D  So, it's a hard thing for English speakers too, apparently. Indeed, if I ever find a decent explanation I'll translate in English. But it must be a one or two word description.
Therefore I like it when clients come to visit me, so I can show some high resolution work on the computer and open up TG (and other apps) to show how it all works.... and to see their eyes popping :P

René

Ik ben 'renditie' wel eens tegengekomen, maar dat is niet beter dan 'render'. Ik denk dat een korte uitleg op je site(filmpje?) het duidelijkst is.

I have encountered 'renditie' on occasion, but that is no better than 'render'. I think a short explanation on your site (movie?) is the clearest.

Dune

Dat is inderdaad helemaal een vreemd woord. Eigenlijk is het misschien ook helemaal niet van belang hoe zoiets genoemd wordt, maar geldt het resultaat. Een klein filmpje is wel een goed idee, zoiets had ik ooit op een oude site. Daarom heb ik nu ook dat gesplitste beeld op mijn openingsbladzij, om toch even te laten zien dat het geen foto's zijn.

That is indeed quite a strange word. In fact, it may not be important at all what such a thing is called, but the result applies. A small video is a good idea, something I once had on an old site. That is why I now also have that split image on my opening page, just to show that they are not photos.

René

I had another look at your site: great work, both digital and traditional.

Dune

Tangled-Universe

Je vraag is heel herkenbaar Ulco. Zelf heb ik ook regelmatig geprobeerd ontwerpen in 3D uit te leggen. Mensen snappen wel dat je een bouwtekening kunt maken op een computer met lijnen e.d., maar zodra je zegt dat je dat op een 3-dimensionaal vel papier doet ipv 2D dan gaat het licht meestal ineens snel uit. Concepten als polygons en dat je daar vormen mee kan maken begrijpen de meeste mensen ook nog wel, maar ze vervolgens "in een 3D omgeving zetten" is dan opnieuw vaak erg lastig te begrijpen.
Meestal zeg ik over 'renderen' dat ik het de computer laat tekenen of laat uitrekenen hoe de kleuren/licht/schaduwen moeten zijn.
Meestal zeg ik dan ook dat ze het als een simulatie kunnen zien waarbij de software een lichtbron en atmosfeer simuleert waarin je zelf een landschap kan zetten met allerlei objecten en dat na het ontwerp van de omgeving en wolken de rest van het tekenwerk doet aan de hand van een soort lichtsimulatie.

Zoals René zegt is misschien een korte video op je website van je workflow/tools een goed idee, zodat mensen kunnen zien hoe je werk in het algemeen tot stand gekomen is.

Very recognizable question Ulco. Several times I attempted to explain 3D design myself. Generally people understand that you can design constructing-drawings with lines on a computer, but extending this concept to a 3D piece of paper instead of a 2D paper usually causes people to tune out. The concept of polygons allowing you to construct shapes usually work, but then placing those in a 3D environment is again a very tough concept.
Usually I say about rendering that I let the computer to the drawing for me or that I let the computer calculate how the colours/light should be.
Usually I also say they can see it as a kind of simulation where the software simulates a lightsource and atmosphere where I can insert a landscape with objects into it and after that design I can let the computer perform a kind of lightsimulation on it.

Like René suggested perhaps a short video on your website showing your workflow/tools is a good idea, so that people can see how some of your work is realized.

Dune

Dat leg ik inderdaad meestal ook zo uit, als ik mensen spreek. Op mijn site zet ik inderdaad misschien een keer een video; zoiets als Zaxxon (Doug) een keer gemaakt heeft van zijn scene opbouw.

Indeed, I usually explain it that way when I speak to people. On my site I may indeed put a video once; something like Zaxxon (Doug) once made of his scene build-up.