Subsurface scattering

Started by Dune, October 11, 2019, 10:39:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyL

Got it working! ;D

tgout-001 06m51s v4.4.38.1.jpg

I will post further experiments later!

Hannes

Whoah! That looks amazing! I couldn't create some decent skin shader so far, but that looks really promising!

Hannes

KyL

Okay I started a new thread to specifically talk about skin.

I also posted the link to the models I used ;)

WAS

Great work. It seems working with the models more like the comparisons you're using helped?

What seems to come off immediately to me is all this is highly dependent on the scale of your model and settings and may not scale up or down with different objects?

Also, is arnolds SSS Screen-space subsurface scattering? The exaggerated examples of their "correct" setup are most certainly not anatomically correct in where light is going. Different angles in the model seem to entirely block light with no transmission of glows.

Dune

Thanks for chimimg in Matt. I used 0.5 and AA6, but subdiv at default. I realized that the grain comes from the max paths settings, which I kept at 'exterior' (outdoor camping :P ).
Here's another test on a geode I made earlier, with higher max path settings (49, I believe). I really like this effect.
@KyL ; did you have the skin textures before or after the glass shader? I had them after the glass, but it seems like its effect is diffused quite a bit by the previous glass shader. Still need to get the hang of this, obviously.

Hannes

Dune

Some small tests (don't have time for large renders) on a person. What I did is in the title.

KyL

Quote from: Dune on October 18, 2019, 02:02:35 AMdid you have the skin textures before or after the glass shader?

Same level. I used a merge shader to mix default and glass shader. I like the geode thing. It feels this kind of things will look much more convincing with proper subsurface scattering!

Dune

If you look at the two most right tests, there's hardly any (or none at all) difference between merge add and using glass first and then default. So it seems any shader after the glass is added anyway.
My problem is that I can't keep the dark skin tone and have the SSS as well.

j meyer

Interesting stuff going on here.
The geode is really cool.
Keep experimenting!

KyL

Quote from: WAS on October 17, 2019, 09:58:36 PMAlso, is arnolds SSS Screen-space subsurface scattering?

No. I remember it was first a point-based subsurface, but now it is ray traced using a dipole model, or maybe even something newer.

There was an interesting article published a while ago about this.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on October 18, 2019, 09:56:56 AMIf you look at the two most right tests, there's hardly any (or none at all) difference between merge add and using glass first and then default. So it seems any shader after the glass is added anyway.
My problem is that I can't keep the dark skin tone and have the SSS as well.
That's strange theres such a jump in lightness of the textures with the SSS. I wonder if you could multiply the diffuse?

Matt

I'm not sure if you can merge the shaders like that. It looks like you're just getting non-SSS result. Do you need diffuse at all? I would think you can achieve a lot with just the glass shader with an appropriate amount of roughness.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.