Stress Test Pic test

Started by jlsarnicola, October 21, 2019, 03:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlsarnicola

Did a little stress test on my new system as Terragen gets the 3900x aSPACE2.jpg little Hot, After Tweeking it a bit i am still surprised how much faster it is over my old one.
the following render took 7 minutes at 2560x1440 with a lot of bells and whistles on high. :)

Matt

Nice! If you have the RAM, try going higher on the number of voxels in the cloud layer. I see some clouds looking less well defined than they could be (in the lighting), and this is because there aren't enough voxels for the large area of the cloud.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

RogueNZ

What temp is your 3900x reaching? I max out at about 72c using a large Noctua tower cooler, you might think about upgrading cooling?

jlsarnicola

Just got the PC in the last week still working out settings I have hit 82 but now im tweeking settings a bit using RyzenMaster . Im using ENERMAX ETS-T50A air cooler which is great for games but terragen seems to get all the cores heated up. 
Might go with an AIO at some point. I just whipped up the Pic as a quick test my old PC took over 3 hours to render a similar one this time it was 7 minutes so im happy. I did notice on the Terragen benchmark test my 3900x came in last with 7 minutes not sure what  i can do to shave more time off buts its still a respectable score. ;D

Oshyan

Are you using any of the 4.4 Frontier builds? Or still 4.3?

- Oshyan

jlsarnicola

4.4.39 and i also just updated bios i realize its a frontier build seems to work pretty well havent crashed or anything yet.

RogueNZ

That cooler looks decent, what about your case? Case airflow can have an impact. I watched a video where they explained that cooling on modern CPU's like Ryzen will have a big impact on the built-in boosting/throttling.

Also make sure you have your RAM set up on the XMP profile or faster. I'm using 64GB of 3200 Corsair vengeance, set at 3133mhz (the XMP profile wasn't stable for me for some reason, I still have some tweaking to do).

Oshyan

Ah, good. I only ask because 4.4 is significantly faster than 4.3 in some cases, which includes the TG4 benchmark. But since that's not it, it must be a boost clock issue. It's interesting, with the whole move to base and boost clocks we're seeing more variation between different setups of the same CPU now, as shown on the benchmark.

- Oshyan

jlsarnicola

ive been an intel guy in the past but AMD seems to have caught up, i just did this at 2560x1440 in 5 minutes on the 3900x much faster than my old 3770 with 16 gb of slow ram.

Oshyan

Yeah, AMD is rocking. Can't wait to see what the 3950x can do, soon!

- Oshyan

jlsarnicola

im using the Phanteks Evolve x case with 7 fans.  Airflow seems fine i sit around 35-40 idle and around 60-65 gaming rendering is the only time this CPUgets stressed but i can customize profiles in RyzenMaster to fix that.

RogueNZ

Looks like a great case and set up, good reminder that I need to play with my fan profiles too.

Great images, I think it would make a nice animation (certainly doable on your current machine!).

DocCharly65

Very nice planet view! :)

I changed to intel 7 years ago because of many temperature an especially noise problems with my AMDs in the past. But the most trouble I usually had with the Radeon graphic cards and their loud fans. But never say never... perhaps some day I'll give AMD a try again...

jlsarnicola

Thanks for the heads up on XMP RogueNZ turns out ASUS calls it something else on their Bios. I am still playing with the system just installed another HD and SSD. 
Its a shame didnt need any cables for the M.2 now sata and power cables everywhere. luckily this case makes cable management easy.

WAS

Quote from: DocCharly65 on October 22, 2019, 01:23:22 AMVery nice planet view! :)

I changed to intel 7 years ago because of many temperature an especially noise problems with my AMDs in the past. But the most trouble I usually had with the Radeon graphic cards and their loud fans. But never say never... perhaps some day I'll give AMD a try again...

Those sound like manufacturer issues. A CPU doesn't contribute to noise really. GPUs come from many manufacturers, a great handful of them low-end for budgets. Same is said for Nvidia. My current Ryzen 5 2600 is pushing out a cloudscape right now, while I listen to Youtube, and on the forums here, and I'm at 62 degrees, and pausing the music, the computer is barely audible.

And I only have 2 fans besides cooler, and overclocked. ;)