Subsurface scattering

Started by Dune, October 11, 2019, 10:39:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Where is the 4.4.40 frontier build? Can't find it...

KlausK

If you do a "Check for update" from within TG it is there.
CHeers, Klaus.
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Dune

Thanks Klaus, but I'm always offline with my TG, and always get the newest test builds from here.`I'll just be patient....

Dune

Another (new) guy tested with the glass-sss, and without, and updated model. Glass version took 24 mins.

Dune

Some more tests, but not with SSS.

Hannes

Cool guy! I guess from a certain distance you wouldn't need subsurface scattering, but in closeups it looks better.

DocCharly65

Quote from: Hannes on November 04, 2019, 03:59:57 AMCool guy! I guess from a certain distance you wouldn't need subsurface scattering, but in closeups it looks better.
Echo this!
Great character creations!
Would on the distance a very carefully used reflective shader add a little bit realism? I have good experiences so far by doing that.

Dune

My characters are mostly for non-close-up (luckily). And I do use some subtle no-RT (default shader) reflection, but maybe it's not always enough. Something to experiment with. It also depends on what this character is doing ;)

Dune

Another character, and difference between PT and PT with SSS (decay depth at 5cm, which is too much, but well...). PT takes a few minutes, SSS unfortunately 19mins, but the effect is great.
Oh, decay color a light reddish, density = 5, color = 2.

Hannes

Quite a difference. Maybe a little specularity would be nice.

Dune

Yes, I thought so too. Had it in the default shader, but got (partly?) lost in the glass shader (no reflection set).

j meyer

Is the difference of the shadows only due to the SSS of the glass shader?

WAS

The refraction highlights on her nostrils and lips coming from below are... interesting... but she looks better with the SSS, shadow smoothness is much more natural. I agree on some skin spec.

Dune

Yes, the glass' decay depth makes the soft shadows even softer, as the shadows 'sinks' into the skin. Decay depth was too much though (5cm), whereas Hannes used 3cm, which would probably also enhance this simple (morphed) DAZ model, and get rid of the strange highlights. Only thing I don't understand is that Hannes uses color of 1, and I had to use 2 to keep it from being far too dark.

Hannes

You'll have to increase the volume density. However in my tests I had to brighten up the textures as well. According to Matt a color value of more than 1 wouldn't be physically correct.