Trying to Choose: Vue vs Terragen

Started by bcgreen24, October 03, 2019, 11:43:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcgreen24

Sooooo I really just can't decide on Vue or Terragen.  I'm really impressed by Terragen, but Vue has some features that Terragen doesn't (or, at least, I haven't found them).  For instance: with Vue you have the 'eco painter' that lets you 'paint' trees and such directly on the terrain.  In addition, much like other terrain makers like Bryce, you can use painting/sculpting tools to modify your terrain (such as carving in rivers and such).

On the other hand, the renders I've been able to achieve with Terragen are pretty stunning, and I like the shading system better than Vue's in many ways....

Oh, and I forgot: even though Vue is $5 more a month for the lower-end version ($20 versus $15 for Terragen), it also includes Plant Factory...

Anyone else have any info/opinions that can help me decide?

Thanks!
Bryan

WAS

I can't speak for Vue as I've only briefly fiddled with it, though it has some great features and packages bundled with it's subscription (plant factory).

But I would like to touch on the ecosystem. Terragen does have a painted shader. You can use this to paint in your viewport and utilize it as a mask for populations. Even coupled with distribution shaders and power fractal shaders for more natural distribution. 

Terragen does lack fine control of it's surface geometry, which has been a setback for many artists into sculpting, but from hints Matt has dropped in the forums (even "April Fool's" posts) it seems he is working on something for Terragen or otherwise to help in this very aspect, so stay tuned for sure. 

Terragen has its strengths for sure. If atmosphere and clouds is a serious focus in your work, I would suggest Terragen.

bcgreen24

Thanks for the input, WAS! Very helpful.

I think I am leaning more toward Terragen-- I've been playing around with Arbaro, and it does just as good a job as Plant Factory in creating trees, so Plant Factory is not much of a factor in my decision any more.  And it just seems that I get great results right 'out of the box', ESPECIALLY with atmospheres/clouds...

Bryan

bobbystahr

Quote from: bcgreen24 on October 04, 2019, 09:50:34 AMThanks for the input, WAS! Very helpful.

I think I am leaning more toward Terragen-- I've been playing around with Arbaro, and it does just as good a job as Plant Factory in creating trees, so Plant Factory is not much of a factor in my decision any more.  And it just seems that I get great results right 'out of the box', ESPECIALLY with atmospheres/clouds...

Bryan
For veg I generally default to the XFROG freebies, there's a whole bunch of 'em, and the shares from this forum.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Hannes

Hi Bryan and welcome!! :)
This is indeed a difficult decision. Of course we're a little biased here, but we're not like TG is best and Vue is crap. Both apps have their advantages and disadvantages. Although Vue might be a little bit easier to learn (just a guess), I prefer TG especially because of this community here. You'll get a lot of help, and you'll have direct contact with the makers.
The plant factory might be an argument, but all in all it depends on the quality of objects you can get, and there's a lot of good stuff around. You can't paint them directly onto the terrain, yes, but even if it's a bit more tedious, you can distribute your stuff very natural.
Hard to say, but I guess, if you'd choose TG, you won't regret it, even if the learning curve is a little steep (but we all climbed it...)

jaf

To me, it would be cost. Looking at the different Vue options ( https://info.e-onsoftware.com/comparative-chart ), the cheapest Creative Solution is $199 yearly and has a lot of restrictions.  Next up is $750.  Of course PlantFactory could be a factor as Hannes wrote.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

bcgreen24

Soooo I ended up going with Terragen. :)  Just much more powerful and flexible, from what I can tell.  And for plant/tree creation, I got Xfrog for Windows.

And, yeah-- cost was a factor, too; to step up to the next level and get the 'pro' version of Vue, you're talking $75/mo versus the $38/mo for Terragen, if I ever need the 'pro' features.

It also doesn't hurt that I've already gotten several questions answered by you friendly folks. :)

Thanks!
Bryan

Oshyan

Welcome to the community! :)

- Oshyan

Dune

Good choice! Welcome, and I hope to see some of your work soon.

Hannes

bobbystahr

Welcome to Terragen World Bryan...enjoy exploring and problems,...ask  away...I've have every problem I've had solved thru here.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist