Max ray depth

Started by Hannes, October 31, 2019, 03:33:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

Matt, in march you announced the steps of your planned optimisations and talked about increasing the max ray depth to 13 with a default value of 5. Is it already there, and I can't find it, or is it yet to implement?
I'm asking, because at the moment it's difficult to render heads using glass shaders for subsurface scattering plus some more glass shaders for the eyes: corneas and wetness and so on without having some of the parts rendering quite dark or even black.

KyL

+1,

I am hitting ray depth on another scene here too! :-\

Oshyan

We're working on how best to expose this setting in the UI. It will hopefully be included with the final 4.4 release.

- Oshyan

KyL

Nice!

I would put it in the "advanced" tab and create a separate button like "subdiv settings" but next to path tracing. Maybe call it "Rays settings" and put the max Paths and max Depth in there.
This would make echo to the way the subdiv options are implemented, and should be quite futur-proof as well.

But that's just my two cents here ;)

Oshyan

Yeah, that's not a bad idea. We're definitely putting it somewhere on the Advanced tab, just a question of where to fit it in and how we might rejigger other aspects of it to make the most sense and be least cluttered. I'll make sure Matt takes this idea into account.

- Oshyan

Hannes