Mixing specular highlights over image textures.

Started by David, November 17, 2019, 01:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

I'm at basic level in Terragen and having spent 4 days trying to crack this nut I figured I should ask you guys if what I'm attempting is even possible.
Is there a way to add specular highlights over an image texture? The first attached picture shows a wood grain image UV mapped to an object, the second is based on Hannes' 'fake wood' preset. I'm trying to get somewhere between these two images - a polished wood appearance (with a bump channel). It seems to me that when an image texture is added to an object surface shader, the specular channel is disabled.
I think there might be a way of doing it with layers but, honestly, I don't know how to achieve this, nor do I have much idea how to construct a shader tree. I've looked in vain for tutorials that might help but there doesn't seem to be much out there. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Trireme Stem.jpg

WAS

If imagine you can just use a Reflective Shader and use Hannes's roughness input on the roughness of the reflective shader. I'm not sure how your setup is working, not have I used Hannes presets really so not familiar with the wood grain but it seems straight forward enough.

Edit: Hannes fake wood uses no roughness. It's just a Reflective Shader with Highlight Intensity set to 0.6. All you need to do is add a Reflective Shader after your Default Shader or Image Map.

Here is an example TGD using cc0textures Wood26. First one uses just a reflective shader on the image maps. The second one uses Hannes Fake Wood, and original image maps and merges them both together for a "in between".

David

Wow, thank you WAS for your superfast response - that is very kind. You've created exactly what the effect I wanted. I shall now have to spend time studying your node setup and then reproducing it on my object. Is there a reason why you have 2 Power Fractal Shader v3's? You'll see from the attached image threw up 5 warnings - is this important? Thank you again, I'll sleep peacefully tonight! :)

PS. Not sure how to post the second image, it's pointing me to a web address.

WAS

Quote from: David on November 17, 2019, 05:05:42 PMWow, thank you WAS for your superfast response - that is very kind. You've created exactly what the effect I wanted. I shall now have to spend time studying your node setup and then reproducing it on my object. Is there a reason why you have 2 Power Fractal Shader v3's? You'll see from the attached image threw up 5 warnings - is this important? Thank you again, I'll sleep peacefully tonight! :)

PS. Not sure how to post the second image, it's pointing me to a web address.

I don't see any attached image, but the warning are likely because the setup is based on images you don't have, which i linked in my previous post (Wood26: https://cc0textures.com/view?tex=Wood26)

The power fractals is Hanne's Fake Wood, I figured that's what you were trying to use. All it is is PFs for fake wood grain, and a reflective shader.

I think all you need to focus on is the Reflective Shader added to your current setup. You can do this by right clicking the Down Arrow (Node Output) on the last shader of your object (not the gray shader object part; this may likely be your Image Map shader), and select Surface Shader -> Reflective. In the new window for the Reflective Shader 01, set Highlight intensity to 0.6

David

Hi WAS, Thanks to your help my model is now going well. I'd post a picture for you if I could but don't know how. It seems that posting the first image is effected musing a different procedure. David

WAS

Quote from: David on November 18, 2019, 08:34:57 AMHi WAS, Thanks to your help my model is now going well. I'd post a picture for you if I could but don't know how. It seems that posting the first image is effected musing a different procedure. David
Quick replies don't have images. If you bit preview it will take you to the full editor where you can attach images. :) Glad things are going good now

David

Hi WAS, Herewith the soft specular gloss I was looking for. Ridiculously easy to do, now that I know! Thanks againTrireme Stem.jpgTrireme Stem.jpg

WAS

Quote from: David on November 18, 2019, 04:54:00 PMHi WAS, Herewith the soft specular gloss I was looking for. Ridiculously easy to do, now that I know! Thanks againTrireme Stem.jpgTrireme Stem.jpg

That looks great, glad you got it sorted. :)